WIP: THE SPOLEYO 64 WORKLOG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoleyo

this is where i will be posting my progress on my portable n64, the Spoleyo 64.

Specs:
3.5 inch screen
ZN-45 casing
original buttons
~gamecube analog
~gamecube dpad
relocated cart slot
3 hrs if battery life

~=unsure of

EDIT: pictures!!! :D
1307926885.jpg

1307927377.jpg

first question i have is if this analog from a 3rd party gamecube controller will work with a retro 64?

pics:
1307902440.jpg

1307902422.jpg

It might. The resistances of the joystick might be different from the controller's joystick (e.g. 2.2Kohms and 10k ohms). You could correct this by adding an appropriate value resistor to increase/decrease the resistance.

ok...im probrably going to receive my zn-45 and my 3.5" lcd in a week and have come across a lot of ideas. i was originally going for shockslayers 6th with radioshack buttons but im dumping that...now i would like to use original buttons but i dont want to leave the whole board in the case like i was originally...so if anyone can tell me 1: what i can use to keep the controls mounted to the case and wont move (i believe its epoxy putty but whatevers best and where to get it) and 2: the easiest/best way to cut a n64 controller board...i know where to cut it..but not how....any tips and tricks are a big help and i will keep you posted :D

hey guys sorry its been a while..been busy..but i just did a test to see how well my controls will be mounted and how they look and will post pics soon. there is nothing keeping me back from starting this case exept that i dont know how to cut a controller board..can anyone shed some light on this for me?

I use a dremel. Coping saw works pretty well too.

Cutting the controller board isn't necessary, because you can solder directly to the board as it is. As it turns out, you are using a zn45, so you will most likely already have plenty of room without worrying about trimming a controller board.

But, if your heart is set on trimming it, this diagram should help.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21057049/N64%2 ... 0Guide.png

Happy modding.

If you're cutting the board in order to use it for the original contacts, which I assume you are, I would use a very sharp, also very strong pair of scissors. They cut in a straight line and can even cut angles if you do it right. It does take a fair amount of force to do, and you have to be accurate, but that's what I used to do before I bought a dremel.

Also something to think about: You have a relatively big case and a relatively small screen. If you are sticking with ZN45, I would pay the extra $20 to get a psone screen. To fit it in the case, it takes a MINIMAL amount of trimming (like a few mm, no rewiring). And though you wouldn't think it, 5" is a pretty big step from 3.5", and the bigger screen, the better, right? Plus it comes with a built in audio amp and speakers.

Your project, not mine, just some friendly advice! :D

thank you for the advice guys...i was thinking about using a psone screen but dont you need to LED mod it an trim the top thing off to fit it?...and i mite use the scissor method so i can use the original contacts. i might just get that done tonight...im trying to get this project done but it deffinetly will take a while do to my limited time. pictures will come..this thin is getting done!

Spoleyo said:
thank you for the advice guys...i was thinking about using a psone screen but dont you need to LED mod it an trim the top thing off to fit it?...and i mite use the scissor method so i can use the original contacts. i might just get that done tonight...im trying to get this project done but it deffinetly will take a while do to my limited time. pictures will come..this thin is getting done!

No you can trim the top and bottom just a little and get the Psone screen to fit in the ZN cases without the Led mod.

thanks hailraizer..and update:

after completing my cart slot relocation (finally) i saw the first 4 wires i did a while ago that i kept messing up on didnt look right...so i thought to take them off/redo them. upon doing it i ripped off the 4 copper pins on the cart slot it self..the board isnt fried..but i cant play any games without the cart slot. im going to post pics in a few of it but if anyone knows a way to fix this it will save me a lot of time and $$$...thanks!

pics of mobo
1310528628.jpg

cart slot (after failing to fix it)
1310528663.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back