Wiikey with swiss autoboot troubleshooting

Monstercrunch

Hi guys.
My WKF has a weird comportment: it always boot but sometimes (too many times), it is locked on "init wiikey fusion". I have to restart the GC few times before it works again.

I thank it can come from my 32gb SD card, so I used a 16gb (fat32 format) and same thing happen. There is just one différence: with the 16gb SD card, the wiikey is loaded automatically :eek: You can see it in the video below:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/fAWCd7nvYKs

I would like to have a wiikey that works each time I boot, not randomly like it is now... is there a solution to fix it ? or to improve it at least ?

Thanks.

[edit] don't know how to include the video... :cry:

As far as we can tell so far it is about the sd card quality and if it's fragmented. I have the sd cards 1 boots straight into swiss like it is a game and 2 that don't

Ok, so this part of my "problem" is normal. What about the number of freezing boots ? Cause I think they are pretty good cards, not the cheapest ones...

Thanks for your quick answer ;)

No problem dude, try and see if formatting an sd card straightout. Try the different block sizes and see if that helps as well. So far I am not having any issues with mine freezing. If you need me to try any games let me know.

Re:

DuHasst0 said:
try and see if formatting an sd card straightout

I don't see what you want me to do ? (you mean formatting the card again ?)

DuHasst0 said:
Try the different block sizes and see if that helps as well.

You mean to try with smaller sd card or by partitioning them ?

Thanks.

I can't take screen shots right now, but when you format your card you can choose different block sizes, choose a small one and work your way up. I will have to do some trial and error stuff as well with one of my cards

I hadn't seen it... I try with all the differents block sizes to see if it changes something (the default I used was 32kb).

Thanks for the info ;)

[edit] Seem to be much better with a 4kb blocks, just 1 "init wiikey" freeze (and 10 success). I played some Mario kart and SSBM and there had been no in game freeze this time :awesome:

two words to learn:
autoboot
autoload

all WKFs with autoboot firmware will autoboot except for one possible issue, the SD card
SD card compatibility is the only common link found in all instances...
with autoboot firmware, two different scenarios will occur:
1. your WKF will autoload ( card 1 in your video )
2. you WKF will autoboot ( card 2 in your video )

from looking at your video:
your 32GB card appears not to be compatible for autoboot so it will only autoload still not needing pin29 to load
your 16GB card appears to be compatible for autoboot...
currently there is no way to know in advance which card in compatible as even the same type of cards are hit and miss with autoboot.

you may want to check your wiring for that cardslot to comfirm you are not having intermittent card detection issues and/or other freeze issues during gameplay because if swiss does not detect an SD card upon startup then it will appear to be frozen with that message shown in your video
Code:
Init Wiikey Fusion

I didn't wired anything on the card slot ... just used the ffc cable.
I added some games and now it seem to do it again (I had just 1 "freeze" and 15-20 normal boot, now I added games and I had 6 freezes one after one before it works again. Don't know if it's linked :( )

After about 200+ powering on/off the GameCube, I found what was going wrong (I think):
-at the begining, whatever what I was doing (changing the block's size, the number of games on the sd card, the position of the WKF in the Gamecube), I had like 30% of the boots that worked.
-aat the end, I disconnected and reconnected the two FFC cables that were plugged into the WKF, and then I made a 100% 21 boots that worked :D

I hope I'll not have issues anymore now... I gonna stick it in place and I'll see :mrgreen:

Thanks for your help and your patience ! I keep you aware if anything changes ;)

I think I'm going to be crazy very soon... it happened again :evil2: :evil2: :evil2:
But now, I noticed something: it works better when the GC is open in two parts, but when I close it, it works worst... There might bea wrong contact somewhere, but I can't find where ! And when it's open and I try do make that it do not works by pushing/pulling the FFC cables, it do not change a lot (I mean I works well). So I really don't understand why whan I close it, it works worst :cry:

I can't sell something that doesn't work, and all this time I'm spending to figure out what is going on, I could do something else. It's very irritating :wtf: :wtf:

Here are my test (0 = it freezed on the message "init...", 1 = it worked)

Code:
normally closed (the case) |1100000000|
forced close (with screws)|1001100000|
open |1001111111|
open (I changed the place of the SD ffc cable)|1010111111
I hot glued it (always open) |1111111111|
close |1111111110111|
screwed |110111111011001|
shaked |100000
open |10011101110|1111110111111|
close |10100101010
open |11010101111111