Wii U

Name is bad, system is really *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing cool. The first video they showed didn't give it justice, but that Zelda and bird demo looked great, as well as the 360/PS3 ports they showed from 3rd party devs. Now we just need to wait for more game announcements, but at least we know we are getting 2 new Smash games. :awesome:

I don't really mind. I play handhelds on my bed at night usually, this is much more convenient for me. :p

People that have played it say the controller is light and surprisingly comfy, despite its awkward appearance.

Also, the slider analogs are said to be much better than 3DS sliders and on par with the nunchuck.

The bird tech demo, although better than wii graphics, failed to impress me seeming inferior, graphically, to recent games shown on the 360 and PS3. That being said, the Zelda tech demo restored my faith in the system and really really impressed me. Nintendo did a great job showing an HD zelda scene that remined me of certain Resident Evil environments while still being good ol' zelda.

The system looks small, I think? Thats good. I guess making a portable Wii U would be pretty pointless :p

madfanboy:
no F-zero
no Metroid
no Pikmin 3
and many more I can't think of right now. Guess they gotta save some of it for next year's E3

Unfortunately I couldn't get up at 4am to watch this :p
but anyways, this looks very awesome and very promising :D

First opinion?
it wont ever be a complete portable, as some of you guys have said.

So its supposedly sporting a Power7 family processor. From what I've seen, the lowest end of these processors is a single-chip 6-core processor clocked at 3.7 GHz. Nice.

Still haven't gotten any confirmation on a graphics chip, yet.

The speech about the name and stuff seems like a Steve Jobs Apple pitch. The controller looks like a VMU taken about 3000 steps too far. For some games it would be great, but for a lot having two screens would be incredibly distracting. Not to mention that the things are big and they aren't going to be cheap. Being able to play on it is a much better feature, but sadly most developers will probably abuse the screen as an unnecessary secondary screen. Most of the other functions are gimmicky as Heck. I guess they're trying to pitch it as an internet tablet or something as well. The Zelda demo at the end looked pretty good, but not hugely special.

As for the demos, Chase Mii looks just plain retarded. Battle Mii looks kind of fun, but doesn't really offer anything new. Shield Mii is a stupid game, but kind of neat the way the controller is integrated.

In any case, however, I suspect that developers will do the same thing they did the last generation. That is, focus too much on the control scheme (read: implement a stupid and unnecessarily strange method) instead of the games.

Whatever, I don't care about Nintendo or even consoles in general anymore.

That controller looks terrible, IMO. The screen is nice, but it makes the controller huge and it does not look ergonomic at all. Also, why would they put sliding analogues on it? I know it's supposed to be better than the one on the 3ds, but it seems a lot less comfortable than a normal analogue. Whatever, I have to give Nintendo credit for trying to be new and different, but I can't say I like the way they are going.

It says it fully backward compatable with the Wii so does that mean we will be able to transfer over all VC stuff and Wiiware.

Also can you use more than one on the same console. They never showed that.

I'm just happy that Nintendo didn't go full retard and have no physical controls.

I don't think the controller is as big as the pictures of it make it out to be. Its pretty thin.

I feel the 3DS can fill a lot of the needs of the wii U controller if it had a second analoge, I dont think the pressure sensitivity on the tablet will be used that often, the setup looks cool, but I hope that controller can do something on it's own. (playing games in bed is cool, but I mean if I took it to uni) and this sounds like a $100+ controller, so I'm on the fence

1) The controller is a comfortable size.
2) THE CONSOLE USES WIIMOTES. THE NEW CONTROLLER ISN'T FOR EVERYTHING EVER.

Back