Wii Sensor Bar Projector

daftmike

Electronics Whizz!
When I play Wii on my projector, setting up the sensor bar is a real pain, the cables aren't long enough and at the distance I play, the pointing is unreliable.
I considered making a longer sensor bar and fixing it to the wall but aesthetically it put me off.

I recently saw a really great project by spritetm, he made a sensor bar using power leds and a fresnel lens to project the ir spots needed for the wiimote pointer. I made my own version to use with my projector.

I didn't have enough room to use a fresnel lens, but i did have some small aspheric lenses that would be suitable.
lens.jpg

I used two 2.2W Osram Golden Dragon 940nm leds, they need decent heatsinking to be run a full power so I soldered them to some copper and screwed them to an alu heatsink for good thermal contact.
ledonheatsink.jpg

Then I made a frame for the lenses from sheet styrene and polystyrene cement
progress1.jpg

Eventually I had something to hold the lens and led the correct distance apart, and tested for focus.
frontlenson.jpg

I used an IR-modded webcam with the exposure stepped down to adjust the focus:
dieprojection.jpg

At 4 metres, the IR spot is about 15cm in diameter and the Wii sensitivity needed to be set at 4 or 5 to be reliable.

It's all powered by a switch-mode current driver controlled by a signal from the original sensor bar wire so that it all turns on/off with the wii. The case is from an old inverter for some ccfl lights that broke.
psu.jpg

Everything sits on top of my projector and works really great, the pointer is nice and centred in the screen and it's much better than before when I had the sensor bar balanced on a chair and was always tripping over the wire :lol:

pj2.jpg

Nice job. Very clean and elegant, and a neat solution to your problem. On a side note, I looked up IR webcam because of this, and now I want to make one.

Haven't seen you in a while daftmike, but again you've made something awesome! Very cool indeed.

it looks so awesome I have absolutely no idea what it does but I'm sure whatever it does is completely wicked

K, are we being trolled or something? He goes around necroing uber old topics and posts pointlessly in threads that he clearly hasn't even read.

Snipeye said:
K, are we being trolled or something? He goes around necroing uber old topics and posts pointlessly in threads that he clearly hasn't even read.
icon_post_report.gif

that button is there if you need it.

Drakon said:
it looks so awesome I have absolutely no idea what it does but I'm sure whatever it does is completely wicked
If you would bother to read before posting, you would be able to deduce that it is a sensor bar for his Wii when playing on a projector. In the future, perhaps try reading the topic at hand so you can delight us with an informed opinion on the subject rather than metaphorically chewing on the pretty pictures with your infantile mouth as you get drool all over everything.

Sorry for the grave digging!

I was just wondering if any of you know a good source for these or similar IR lenses with decent shipping to Europe.

I'm rebuilding the project.

Back