Wii Chip Cooler

kyal16

Hi all,
I've been working on (and am very close to finishing) a Wii laptop and will probably make a post when I'm done. But right now though, I am having some trouble figuring out what type of cooler I can use to cool the Wii. As of now I am using the stock cooler cut down about a 1/4 inch lower but it still gets hotter than I'd like. I need something that's lower than an inch but the width doesn't entirely matter. Price as well isn't a huge concern.
Thanks a ton!

Unfortunately I have the first revision with the larger chipset. I am currently looking at getting a newer board but I won't look forward to having to rip off those ports again. I know the first revision produces more heat and consumes more power so I'm hoping the newer board will save some battery life.

Significantly. Its about a 50% reduction in heat and power consumption

Alright so if I plan go getting a newer board, what are some good cooling options? Also, about how much power does the new boards consume vs the old ones? Thanks!

Very interesting, but has it been done before? No seriously though I don't think a fan will work unless it blows out the side. I'm looking more at something such as the old VGA coolers or cheap low profile CPU coolers. But if both of those options seem like overkill I think I can go the sideblower route.

kyal16 said:
Very interesting, but has it been done before? No seriously though I don't think a fan will work unless it blows out the side. I'm looking more at something such as the old VGA coolers or cheap low profile CPU coolers. But if both of those options seem like overkill I think I can go the sideblower route.
you don't need anything bigger than the stock heatsink. doesn't even really need a fan imo.

copper heatsinks should work just fine. SS said that the ones he had on his console kept it nice and cool

see here:
http://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?th ... 146/page-2

Alright, easier than I though. I may find something just a little bigger since there will be less airflow in my case. Thanks a ton guys

I recommend using a tiny heatsink with a small fan. I would not recommend putting a Wii in a shell without a source of moving air, unless you are planning on doing some unorthodox cooling method like making the case metal case and using it to disipate the heat.

Die shrunk wiis dont create much heat. Their stock setup is complete overkill. If you have any heatsink, and airflow in the case, across the sink, and out the case, it'll be just fine.

Back