Why Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I BSOD at least twice a month with Windows 7. My laptop with Vista BSOD'd exactly once in the three years I used it regularly.

Kickback said:
FLAME WAR GO.
As you wish.

Kickback said:
ProgMetalMan said:
Macs are mostly intended for desktop publishing enthusiasts, artists, filmmakers and music producers.

fixed.
*Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing nonsense. In 2001, sure, that was accurate. But in the past ten years, Mac has fallen out of favour with all the serious music/video production houses. The main reason for this is simply that Apple is quite retarded, and flat out refuses to sell the "Mac pro" with graphics hardware that is anywhere near up to date. Case in point:
ULizk.png

Not to mention that in terms of rendering Nvidia beat ATI to the punch with CUDA (ATI has stream now, and its alright, just several years behind on adoption), and apple didnt offer any nvidia cards to take advantage of that flax. And this is all above and beyond the part where paying apple's stunningly massive prices for their top end hardware is very bad business sense.

When its all said and done though, theres a pretty good set of reasons why Pixar and Dreamworks use windows now. And adobe now builds their suite for windows and ports to mac, rather than the other way around. The only people who use macs for media type flax are simply fools following outdated wisdom.

As far as operating systems in general go, I dont think osx is horrible, but it certainly doesn't have any qualities that redeem the apple tax. And the past few updates, with all the ipad/iphone like crap added in, I do not like.

I run two desktops with a vga/mouse/keyboard switch. one is my dedicated gaming box, rolling win 7 64 pro. Other box is some old hardware I cobbled together, dual booting Slackware and openBSD. Slack for general media consumption, and BSD for coding.

Overall, I don't really think there is any one best OS. As yet, they all have pretty dramatic strengths and weaknesses. My favorite is probably Slackware, and if I could only have one, it would be Win 7.

OSes are like fine cigars.

Nobody should argue about fine cigars. It's all personal taste.

AfroLH said:
OSes are like fine cigars.

Nobody should argue about fine cigars. It's all personal taste.
But the Montecristo Platinum is the best cigar. Anyone whose personal taste doesnt tell them that is *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing retarded and wrong.

samjc3 said:
When its all said and done though, theres a pretty good set of reasons why Pixar and Dreamworks use windows now.
OH THE IRONY
No wonder they couldn't get the old Toy Story models to open...
Kickback said:
> different opinion to me
> *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing retarded

samjc3 said:
When its all said and done though, theres a pretty good set of reasons why Pixar and Dreamworks use windows now.
There is no reason I'm a were of to use windows when producing movies.

Re: Re: Why Linux?

zharrhen said:
There is no reason I'm a were of to use windows when producing movies.
You do realize that most if not all software used in movie production is likely on both platforms, right?

Personally, I like windows because I like games and compatibility. There's just no competition when it comes to those.

zharrhen said:
samjc3 said:
There is no reason I'm aware of to use windows when producing movies.
Its all because of video hardware. You simply cannot get the best video hardware in macs. It simply doesnt exist, because nobody really makes any mac compliant versions of hardcore modern graphics chips, since the market has always been pretty small, and it just keeps shrinking. And digital animation houses and all that sort of flax want the most processing power possible, so they use windows. (and a bit of linux too, but there's some driver difficulties there) And I'm thankful that they do, because since dreamworks had switched, they had glorious CUDA power at their disposal when they were making How to Train Your Dragon, and they used it to render the fire and water, both of which ended up being far more gorgeous than if they had been done conventionally.

Zero said:
Kickback said:
> different opinion to me
> *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing retarded
Sometimes I wish there was a font style you could use for when words are dripping sarcasm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back