Why Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ojmanyeah

I've been thinking about trying out linux in some form but I just don't see the reason to use it. Can anyone tell me why I should use it? I'm gonna have to keep windows for now so I can keep my games though.

I started off using linux because my programming teacher would not allow us to use any non-unix system in class. Since then, I've learned to appreciate that the system recognises me as the ultimate user and I have the ability to change anything I please as long as I know what I'm doing. I also find it to be very stable; no blue-screens-of-death. If you get the right flavor, you can get a very fast, low-resource operating system that will get out of the way and let you do what you want to do. Unfortunately there is currently a lack of Linux-supported games, so you will need Windows in some form, be it dual-boot or a virtual machine. Personally, I'm not a big PC gamer, so that doesn't really affect me much. After so many years of using linux, I've learned to really detest so much about Windows that I avoid it as much as possible and only use it if I REALLY have to.

hopefully with Gabe Newell looking to support linux via Steam that will begin to change. At the minimum, at least you can be rest assured that any games obtained via the Humble Indie Bundle will be linux-compatible.

In the end, though, it's really up to user preference. If don't want to learn how to use the terminal, don't move to linux. If aren't prepared to put in the research relearning how to do seemingly simple things, don't move to linux. If you want to have full control of your computer, then make the move.

I think it's more hipster to use a PC than a Mac.
Macs are mostly intended for mainstream idiots.
Also, the day I can get MAME running on Linux is the day that it becomes my primary OS.

Kickback said:
ProgMetalMan said:
Macs are mostly intended for desktop publishing enthusiasts, artists, filmmakers and music producers.

fixed.
Exactly. Most studios use Macs because they don't want to be working for 5 hours plus, only to be greeted by a blue screen.

I barley game on my computer, and when I do it's only games that require Java, so I'd be perfectly happy on Linux. I do some programming that requires Windows apps though, so until I get WINE working good enough, I'm stuck on Windows. :confused:
As long as you know how to use it, Linux is a really good OS, and I recommend it to most of my non-techy friends. Of course I need to show them a thing or two first, but most of them always stick with it instead of switching back to Windows.

Honestly, I don't see any benefit at all from running Linux. I don't think it's rubbish or anything (it used to be, it used to be terrible) but I can't see any viable reason to use it over Windows 7.

I try to avoid these threads though because they always result in flame wars...

FLAME WAR GO.

Windows 7 is more stable than any previous version of Windows. It doesn't crash any more than you'd expect an operating system too.

Which is the exact reason I've replaced any other OS in my house with it. (Except dual-booting with Linux)

I use 64 bit vista home premium on this laptop, never had a blue screen. though I do a full reinstall every 6-8 months if it needs it or not. Windows 98 sp2 was my previous fave, better than anything prior to vista hands down.

XP (Except its initial release) is a great system. The only reasons it's ever BSOD'd on me was when there was a driver issue with a flaxty camera and a DVD decrypting program recognizing it as a DVD, and when I put in a video card that overloaded the PSU.

Linux Mint is my personal flavor when I'm not on Windows 7. Haven't got a chance to test out Mint 13 yet (waiting for the ThinkPad I got off of eBay to get here), but 12 was fantastic.

I never had any problems with XP in my personal use, but 7 is a far superior OS hands down. Neither have given me BSOD since I started using computers over 10 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back