What's the big deal with using the original analog triggers?

aurothic

Newb
Hello ModRetro, lurker here-

As I'm sitting here sifting through mounds of tutorials and worklogs from YouTube and the forum I can't help but wonder why no one uses the original gamecube analog triggers for their portables. Is there some inherent reason I can't understand? The only reason I can come up with off the top of my head is due to size. Even when the bacman forums were up, I could never find someone using the original analog triggers or any reason as to why they were switching to a different method.

Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Re: What's the big deal with using the original analog trigg

I didn't really understand either until I started making a portable myself. It comes down to case making. The triggers are rather large and hard to integrate into a shell comfortably. Its often simpler, and way less space consuming to just drill a hole and put a tact through it than frankencasing a large chunk of a gamecube controller.

Certainly there must be a better way of adding the triggers to the case other than frankencasing, right? If you were to accurately get the measurements of the trim around the triggers (using a caliper?) and create a hole accordingly in the case --using with whichever method you prefer*-- to make a more clean finish. Now making the hole might take something more than a dremel and a screw driver, but I imagine this is definitely plausible.
*Say a cnc machine or laser cutter.

Tchay did use atleast the original housing for the analog triggers, although I'm not sure what he used for the electronics eg; potentiometer and tact switch.

Is there a way to use the original triggers on a portable, and if so, is there a guide available?

If I'm steering myself in the wrong direction please point it out to me. Constructive citricism is always appreciated. Thanks again.

Shockslayer used analog triggers in his sl-68p if im not mistaken and I think to
do so you need to provide a lot of room.

I'm actually planning on using the original trigger in my portable. They work pretty well if you know how to incorporate them. I'm planning on using them as they were.

sOA5xaXh.jpg

Picture of an early model. Higher Res (http://i.imgur.com/sOA5xaX.jpg?1).

I also have links to product pages where you can buy the triggers without having to buy the whole controller.

@Generalindividual
Did you create the model for the 3DS slider yourself? Or can this be downloaded somewhere?

It's much easier said than done. Not saying it's too difficult, but a few people in this thread are kind of treating it like it's some cake walk.

To integrate the original L and R triggers would mean that your portable will be much larger as a result. Once you factor in the size of other components (batteries in particular) as well as the space they require for travel, it makes much more sense to go with a dual tact mod which provides you with essentially the same range as the original triggers while using up a much smaller area. Remember, it's not just the triggers size that you have to keep in mind, but the placement of the potentiometer and travel distance as well. So it's not difficult, but it's a lot more work and it really only serves to make the portable larger in the end.

Tchay's Envision is not a good example as he technically did not use original triggers for it. He used the triggers from the much smaller Madcatz Microcon Controller. If you ask me, the best way to go is either Dual tact method, or if you must incorporate the potentiometer based triggers, the triggers from a Wii Classic Controller or from a Madcatz Microcon Controller.

C4RB0 said:
@Generalindividual
Did you create the model for the 3DS slider yourself? Or can this be downloaded somewhere?

I made it in Solidworks using measurements from an official 3DS slider and a really crappy digital caliper.
Model (https://www.dropbox.com/s/gr651k45dnambt0/3ds Analog stick.SLDPRT?dl=0)

RedmagnusX said:
It's much easier said than done. Not saying it's too difficult, but a few people in this thread are kind of treating it like it's some cake walk.

To integrate the original L and R triggers would mean that your portable will be much larger as a result. Once you factor in the size of other components (batteries in particular) as well as the space they require for travel. Remember, it's not just the triggers size that you have to keep in mind, but the placement of the potentiometer and travel distance as well. So it's not difficult, but it's a lot more work and it really only serves to make the portable larger in the end.

Not necessarily, the triggers come in at 16mm x 9mm x 3.5mm with around 4-6mm of travel. You don't have to triggers as large as the ones on the official controller to get the same feel. Here's a link to digital potentiometers that I think might have been used in the official controller (http://goo.gl/NEP5xI)

Re: Re: What's the big deal with using the original analog t

Generalindividual said:
Not necessarily, the triggers come in at 16mm x 9mm x 3.5mm with around 4-6mm of travel. You don't have to triggers as large as the ones on the official controller to get the same feel. Here's a link to digital potentiometers that I think might have been used in the official controller (http://goo.gl/NEP5xI)

Those look just like them. So I don't see why not.

Generalindividual said:
C4RB0 said:
@Generalindividual

I made it in Solidworks using measurements from an official 3DS slider and a really crappy digital caliper.
Model (https://www.dropbox.com/s/gr651k45dnambt0/3ds Analog stick.SLDPRT?dl=0)

RedmagnusX said:

To integrate the original L and R triggers would mean that your portable will be much larger as a result. Once you factor in the size of other components (batteries in particular) as well as the space they require for travel. Remember, it's not just the triggers size that you have to keep in mind, but the placement of the potentiometer and travel distance as well. So it's not difficult, but it's a lot more work and it really only serves to make the portable larger in the end.

That was not the topic of the thread. The OP was asking about the original triggers. My response was to that of the OP's topic and the fact is that to have the original triggers not just the potentiometers (IE the same L&R buttons that come on the official controller) you would have to make a larger portable. Besides, the travel distance must include the measurement of the height of the buttons for the click as well. That would be an additional 2-5mm on top of the 16mm of the potentiometer; that's a ton of space in a portable. Compare that to the 7-10mm that a double tact mod takes up when stacked or the 2-5mm that they take up when placed side by side and you can see why more people opt for the double tact mod.

I understand that different triggers can be used as I stated in my post when I recommended using the Wii classic controller's trigger. It's just not as good an option when the only real difference between the original and the double tact mod is the feel.

I hadn't imagined returning from vacation wish such a large amount of replies. My question has been answered better than I was hoping now and I've acquired some new things to think about. Much appreciated Generalindividual and RedmagnusX.

The portables I imagine making would not be as small as the ones I believe you are thinking of. Even so, I believe I'm underestimating the size of the pots and I could get a better handle of things if I were to open one up myself.

aurothic said:
I hadn't imagined returning from vacation wish such a large amount of replies. My question has been answered better than I was hoping now and I've acquired some new things to think about. Much appreciated Generalindividual and RedmagnusX.

The portables I imagine making would not be as small as the ones I believe you are thinking of. Even so, I believe I'm underestimating the size of the pots and I could get a better handle of things if I were to open one up myself.

Hey no problem man. If the overall size is of little to no consequence, then you should have no major issue using the original triggers.

Back