WHAT AM I DOING WRONG

nuke

Ok, I just 12 GC's in the mail. Opened one up, removed all the ports, and cut it to AlmostWTF size.
Then nothing.
I've been doing this for the last 7 GCs and im sick of it. WHAT THE *Can'tSayThisOnTV* AM I DOING WRONG?

Usually it doesn't matter what you use to cut the board, as long as you don't rip up any traces and you sand the edges good enough so nothing shorts.

What are your methods? How often do you test it?

I trimmed my first mobo fine with no problems, but I took my time and tested often. You should test your board after you do anything to it. That way, you know when you made a mistake. Just follow the guides, and rewire everything before you cut it. After rewiring anything, even if it's just a couple wires, test it to make sure it works. When it comes time to cut it, only cut one side at a time, and test between cuts. That way, when it stops working you know where the problem is. I'm new to Gamecube, but it is similar to the N64, just a little more complicated. With Ashen's guides, he practically does all the work for you.

Also, make sure each cut is sanded well. the GC is 4 layers, it is very easy to short between layers when cutting. I'm not going to say what the best tools are for cutting since I've only cut 1 GC, but I use the same method as I did with N64. I use a band saw with a metal cutting blade and cut to about 2-3mm of where I want to trim, and finish it off with a belt sander. If you don't have these, I'll bet a dremel and sandpaper work fine. Don't just take my world on it though, someone like Ashen knows a lot more about cutting GCs.

How do you guys remove your ports? I think that is what messes me up. I cut my GC with a dremel, finish it with a belt sander with 80 grit, and sand it by hand with 220. Thanks for the advice FD

Pliers. Most of the time, the top casing will just be able to be pulled off, then just bend the pins back and forth.

To be honest, I only removed the DD and the Power ports so I could the board with the wiikey before I it. It was such an pain in the ass to get them off and I felt like I would break the board when I was bending them. so I just left them on. When I cut the board, the ports were just left on with the cut off pieced of the mobo. It saves so much time, I did the same thing with the N64, but I understand that with the dremel they might get in the way, and you have to break them off. I can't really offer good advise on this, as I only removed 2 ports and hated doing so.

Only problem is, the cut gets in the way of the ports, I have to remove them

I know what you mean, with the bandsaw I just cut through the port and bent the rest off. I think pliers work fine if you are careful and don't bend the mobo too much.

Need pics of both sides of the board.

Don't ever cut a motherboard with tin snips, I will slap you.

Wow man, you did 7 before trying to rectify at least 1? I agree with Fierce, wire first and test everything. Then test after each cut. Much easier to pinpoint what component might be causing issues.

Ashen said:
Don't ever cut a motherboard with tin snips, I will slap you.

LOL

Cut looks fine. What exactly is not happening? Need some in depth detail to help ya man.

How many "dead" boards do you have laying around? You should send them to me. ;P

Try wiring up audio, see if you get sound. The video solder points may be different from board to board. I can't remember off the top of my head.

Back