Vertical lines on frontlit gameboy color

I did the front light mod on my GBC and all worked out great, however there are very faint vertical lines which I assume are coming from the light panel. Is this normal for the front light mod? or did I somehow install the panel incorrectly?
This is the best picture I could get http://i.imgur.com/zXYxa.jpg

It might be the quality of the frontlight panle, it looks like the vains that reflect the light passing through the glass outword so it shines out the face of the glass, if you slightly adjust the frontlight voltage down or up just a little, you might see less of the lines. and in some applications one side of the frontlight might be ment to shine inword or outword.

I flipped the frontlight around and it was just a bright light so I think I have it the right why. I used a 47 ohm resistor like the tutorials online say, should I use a different type?

Edit: Just did some multimeter tests, I get 4.84V on the GBA SP screen contact points. On the GBC I get 3.36 with the resistor and 5.02 before it. Think I should try connecting it without the resistor?

That, or I would use a potentiometer in place of the resitor and addjust it till it looks good, then use the multimeter to check the resitance of the potentiometer and then use a resister of that value. Wide open it might eat your batteries up fast.

Well that was weird, I temproraily bridged over the resistor with some clips and when I turned on the gameboy some pixels in the upper left area of the screen started turning black. Perhaps it was drawing too much power?

What frontlight did you use? It looks like it's just panel quality.

The panels from the CGBs have grooves cut in them to carry the light through the panel. They are all like that.
:awesomeish:

You can mitigate the effect a little bit by cutting the light panel, so that it'll fit in its original orientation of how it was on the gba sp. I'm not sure it's worth the effort, as the picture will still be washed out looking.

Also, I've had some success using anti reflective film on the screen itself. You could buy a couple of ar films for the iphone (for dirt cheap) and cut them to size to fit the screen.

Are there any instructions on how to mount it normally? I never found any, also would anyone know what the best way is to clean the frontlight panel?

Back