Universal WVI (Video + Pics)

lexxion83

Hello all,

I read a lot of post here and like the idea of converting systems to something that is portable. I got interested in the idea of Wireless Video Interface (Xbox 360 and PS3). I own Xbox 360 and was looking at techknott's creations (both Xbox 360 and PS3).

I did some planning and came to the conclusion that I do not have much time/tools/ skills (probably) to rewire lcd screen, controllers, power supply circuits, batteries etc. Plus I did not want to take things apart just in case I want them to be reused later. But I wanted to create a universal WVI the one with LCD screen, AV receiver that can run on battery and wall outlet.

After some research I came to the conclusion that it is possible to universal WVI with standard interconnection cables/adapters that you can just put it in the box without much rewiring or soldiering.

The things I choose are running on 12 VDC. The reason is that a lot of headrest LCD monitors are running on car battery voltage (12VDC) and a lot or power adapters / cables / av transmitters / batteries used for CCTV (security cameras) are running on 12VDC too. See the connection :) PLUS The wireless AV transmitter/Receiver and the screen above can be powered from 7.4V source!!!! :)

Anyway, here is the list of parts:

1. LCD 7" HD Monitor
Model: CVTM-C79
The reason I chose that monitor is it HD for its size (800x480) in Pixels. I can barely see any pixels even when looking up close. It has 2 composite inputs (1 female / 1 male yellow cables). The power consumption is very low in about 7 Watts. It does not have speakers build in (as I want the longest battery life and it was my preferred choice for this project).

2. RC-305 Rx/Tx 5.8Ghz wireless AV transmitter/receiver
Model: AV 5.8Ghz Kit

The reason I chose this model is the portable size and very low power consumption. The av transmitter has composite input Yellow, white and green (red in standard cable). It can transmit all of them at the same time. It required some soldiering of composite chasis-mount rca plugs (yellow, white, red) as you will see in the pictures below. The receiver has 2 composite outputs. One can go to the 7" LCD monitor and at the same time you can hook it up to the big screen too. How nice is that :). Please REMEMBER: 2.4GHz transmitters interfere with Xbox360 wireless controllers so 1.2GHz or 5.8GHz transmitters are the best.

3. Power Supplies/Cables
a. 12VDC @ 1.5A power supply (this one is used with a power splitter cable to power both the LCD monitor and av receiver)
b. 12VDC @ 500mA power supply (used to power av transmitter)
c. One power splitter cable adapter
d. 2 power cable adapters
e. 2 RCA male to 3.5mm female adapter. This one is used for audio. I convert red/white to headphone jack.

4. Miscellaneous
a. RCA chasis-mount plugs . I bought these at radio shack.
b. Project box for transmitter. I bought this at radio shack.

5. Battery

7.4V @ 6400mAh

Battery bought from batteryspace.com. The system runs for 6-8 hrs :). I am very happy.

Overall the system runs perfect right now. The video and audio are very good. I used headphones instead of speakers in order to hear anything. Speakers will drain additional 100-200mA from battery and I want to longest battery life possible. It is very much playable. The good thing about this I can use original controllers, with this system. The av receiver runs a little bit hot but with proper ventilation it should not be a problem.

Some pictures for the proof :)

1. Overall Universal WVI Setup:
WVI Setup - Link

2. Modern Warfare 2 Screenshot 1(Xbox 360):
MW2 Pic 1 - Link

3. Modern Warfare 2 Screenshot 2(Xbox 360):
MW2 Pic 2 - Link

If you have any questions / comments please do not be afraid to ask :)

Peace

!!! Update !!!

I was finally able to complete my project :) I was able to include all the cables/plug converters in a box. I can run from battery, wall , or charge and run from wall at the same time. I also included a 25mm fan for cooling the wireless av receiver (it has separate ON/OFF switch). The range is pretty good at about 20-30 feet. It is really not meant to move as you get occasional blank screen as it looses the signal for like a second. BUT this one was not meant to move. If you leave it stationary there is no interference. The sound is provided through headphones. The paint used for boxes is Crylon Fusion - Flat Black.

The whole project was made in thought that I will be able to reuse the parts (if something breaks). There was no cables cut etc. Everything is pretty much intact :).

Video of my project in action:

Here are pictures of final product:

WVI Pic 1

WVI Pic 2

WVI Pic 3

WVI Pic 4

WVI Pic 5

WVI Pic 6

WVI Pic 7

WVI Pic 8

WVI Pic 9

WVI Pic 10

WVI Pic 11

WVI Pic 12

Afterthoughts:

If I was doing this over again I would use HD kit such as ASUS WiCast EW2000 to have full 1080p streaming to something portable.

I like it :D
Reminds me of the vectrex, with all the old-school casing. That's a good thing.

Back