U8 Wiring

βeta

ModRetro Legend
This is how to bypass the controller inputs on the front of the board. Using this allows you to cut off the large SMT clusters in the corners of the board. Enjoy!

Here's the pinout. Good job, me.
RUNQS.png

And here it is wired up and working. Good job, SS.

8PRsc.jpg

Me and SS figured this out together! :D

DEMONSTRATIONAL VIDEO:

Maybe on that rev 3 board(that's what you said it was, right?) it works out, but on a rev 3 board like mine you save absolutely no space whatsoever by doing this, at least in a way to help you get the n64 in a smaller case. Only practical use is to hide a 3.3v regulator in the area, since you can cut a square to the left of the chip but can't get rid of the chip itself. (makes for no room saved, since the pins for the controller are right under u8 anyways) I hope you understand any of this. If you don't, I'll try to rephrase it.
Also, I think you linked the wrong picture the first time. It's just the less or non scaled version of the second pic.

Cool! So that's what that chip is for. I always thought the controllers were wired directly to the PIF, guess not. So, it would be possible to remove the chip from the board to save even more space, right?

Dang, I wish it were the days when any N64p no matter how crappy was an accomplishment. Then I'd be proud of my YAP64. Now it has to be tiny and RCP wired to even be in the running.

βeta said:
Fixed first pic.
It's not very hard to relocate it.
Even though it looked like it went to the PIF chip, I believed you when you said CPU :stare: I might attempt this some time.

It isn't "insane". It just makes anyone making a small n64p's job a little easier as it's 11 less traces they have to trace.

Guys, you don't have to wait for someone to trace pinouts for you. Just look at the component you want to relocate and follow the traces to the component they connect to, and write it all down.

βeta said:
Using this allows you to cut off the large SMT clusters in the corners of the board.
Surely they are there for a reason. What exactly are all those caps and stuff for?

flaxs and giggles from Nintendo and that company that produced their motherboards, apparently.

Dealing with flaxty peripherals from third parties, probably. Although apparently if a non-Nintendo peripheral screws up your N64 they won't fix it.

i dont mean to be negative, but it seems as if doing these component relocations causes a great deal of wire clutter. and in my mind at least, makes further modding difficult and adds a lot of things that can break. this is simply my opinion, you may see things differently, i am simply voicing mine.

gamefreak13 said:
i dont mean to be negative, but it seems as if doing these component relocations causes a great deal of wire clutter. and in my mind at least, makes further modding difficult and adds a lot of things that can break

hot glue runs the show. It requires reverence, and the occasional human sacrifice, but in the end, can make or break... anything.

Back