The thread of music, be it modded, retro, or normal.

Picked this up a few weeks ago from Hot Topic. I guess they're good for something. Clear vinyl, awwww yeah.

r21ID70.jpg

And Miracle Mile arrived in the mail yesterday, which is about a week before the actual street date. It's a beautiful package and I love how the records look.

kXmGpy0.jpg

I also ordered some other stuff: more Star*Can'tSayThisOnTV*er merch (the slipmat and the new buttons, plus the temp tattoo for preordering) and in typical Polyvinyl fashion, they also threw in a free sticker and an Airhead, and this time they also included a random CD because “Here at PVHQ, we often have extra promotional CDs. Instead of leaving them on a shelf to collect dust, we thought you’d enjoy an extra in your order.” It's an album called "Audio Flame Kit" by a group called Corm and it's actually pretty good. Very pleasantly surprised, especially for a random CD they threw in for free. I love this record label :awesome:

Also, Sunday evening I saw Polyvinyl Records was having a buy-one-get-one free sale on most of their CDs, so I picked up of Montreal's "Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?" and Owen's self-titled album. Both are awesome.

I don't know how it is where you are, but the Hot Topics around here have always sold records, at least as far as I can remember. Selection varies a ton though. But yes, they often have exclusive colored vinyl editions of albums at their stores.

Records are the only reason I even go in that store these days. The main 2 in my area have a decent selection.

I'm surprised Hot Topic is still open, but coloured vinyl is pretty cool.

Even with the debate that it doesn't 'sound as good' as regular vinyl.

I'm confused as *Can'tSayThisOnTV* I thought we switched to CD's a while ago

my computer isn't wide enough to take venial discs.

Kickback said:
I'm surprised Hot Topic is still open, but coloured vinyl is pretty cool.

Even with the debate that it doesn't 'sound as good' as regular vinyl.

Since I actually listen to all the vinyl I buy, I can say from experience all the colored vinyl I own sounds just as good as plain black. In fact, the nastiest-sounding new vinyl I've bought has been black, and I think it's because they use cheap flaxty recycled vinyl. The colored stuff has always sounded nice.

As for why vinyl is making a comeback... I really can't say. I honestly think it's largely a fad on the consumer end, since records are "cool" and "retro" so they're the "in" thing right now, but they do have unique audio properties that make them a whole different experience to listen to, which is what the artsts like. CDs are pure data, so they never degrade over time, but a vinyl record is a literal physical representation of recorded sound waves, so the way the sound is interpreted gives vinyl a quality to it I can't really describe that CDs lack. The best I've been able to liken it to is vinyl being like a solid oak table in a library, whereas a CD is like a stainless steel counter in a laboratory. Both perform the same function, but they have different feels.

A significant number of vinyl records you buy nowadays actually include a code that'll give you an MP3 copy of the album. Miracle Mile did, as has every record I've purchased from this label, on top of the instant download they give you upon checking out. It's kind of the happy medium between having a copy for home listening and a digital version for use on-the-go or on your computer. Plus you get a 12" x 12" (or larger, in the case of this album) piece of artwork you can look at. I still like buying CDs, however, since they're more convenient to play on the road and the audio quality is higher than any MP3 version, but buying vinyl that offers an MP3 copy is perfectly acceptable. I still plan to pick up Miracle Mile on CD at some point in the future, but I don't need to currently.

Either way, while I love my CDs, I love my records too, and I wouldn't get rid of one or the other for either. But there just ain't nothin' like unwrapping a brand new record. Even if it's not technically due out for another week or so, it's like traveling back in time and taking part in a tradition that's been around for half a century and almost died, but was revived.

Twilight Wolf said:
Since I actually listen to all the vinyl I buy, I can say from experience all the colored vinyl I own sounds just as good as plain black.
I can attest to this. I also just generally enjoy colored vinyl. I'm preordering the new Vampire Weekend LP on white vinyl. Should be pretty sick looking.

Brand-new vinyl is surreal to me since I've only known my father's enormous collection of old albums and ones I find at Goodwill and such. But I would like to buy ITAOTS on vinyl sometime soon.

Hermaphroditus said:
I now have the desire to make a slot-loading USB record player, thanks.

I would pay money for that.

T_W will like Fantano's review of that STRFKR album. :trollface:

Also, I got Earth 2 on vinyl. Drone is nice.

i want to like tyler the creator, but this is so *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing awful i cant even.

lucas verse LOL

Trashwang is pretty flax. Overall I enjoyed Wolf. Answer and Cowboy are pretty good tracks.

On the subject of Odd Future, I am hyped as *Can'tSayThisOnTV* for the new Earl album.

G-O-L-F-dub-A-N-G

There's a few good tracks, and overall the production is pretty tight, but the lyrics and most of the guest raps are weak as flax tbh.

Still, it's better than Weezy's latest and will probably be better than Kid Cudi's newest, Earl's album should be good too.

Kickback said:
but the lyrics and most of the guest raps are weak as flax tbh.
Cut it out!
I said I didn’t want no godDang lettuce.
I don’t want that flax!
I don’t want your godDang lettuce.

Double post cause why not. I bought this while I was out today. Only spent $8 after the new release discount and a gift card I had.

Golf Wang

The bassist of one of my favorite bands ever died yesterday.

Deftones was recording a new album when their bassist, Chi Cheng, got into a car accident. He wasn't wearing his seat belt and the car he was in flipped three times. He was in a coma/semi-conscious state ever since. His sister, who was driving, only suffered minor injuries because she was wearing her seat belt.

Always. Buckle. Up.

In memoriam, the track that made me fall in love with this group, as well as an extra.

Change (In The House Of Flies)
Be Quiet And Drive (Far Away)

One love for Chi! RIP.

Back