The Ion64 Worklog! FINISHED! Pics on page 7!

Re: The Ion64 Worklog! Update: 12/18/10

don't know if you said this already or anything, but if you're gonna vac form this, make sure to make a few hole round here :

101221071352224201.jpg

and make sure they correspond to holes on your table, however it will never take the shape.

Btw, in proffessional vac forming, you never form vertical shapes, cause you won't be able to get it out without damaging your case. Sand it a bit not to have this problem ( i experienced it)

Ok thanks! But what are those holes actually for? Also what do you mean by vertical shapes?

- mymixed

Those holes are there to ensure your platic follows your woodEn mold. And now that i think of it, the holes i drew in red should be on the corners, orat least next to the vertical par of that rectangular hole (for the cartridge slot)
If you don't drill those or holes similar, your cartridge slot will just be an inclined plan.

By vertical i mean the sides of your case, which are going to be perdendicular to your plastic when you put it on for vac forming. If they really are veritcal, it will be ok but the mold will be hard to get out, however if your mold is somehow like this : \_/ (with the _ being the bottom) you will never get it out of the plastic without damaging the platic, or the mold or both, and anyways it will be hard.
You want this /_\ (of course just a little) or this at the limit |_|
See what i mean?

Don't put the holes there or that big.

Drill small-ass holes (smallest bit you have) in the corners and around the edges like so:
YYjl0.png

Oh great! I'll do that as soon as I get home! Also, the all the circuitry for the portable is done! Runs great and I'm just waiting for squishy tacts in the mail. The plastic (.080) and the tacts should be in my mailbox when I get home! Thanks for all this help!

- mymixed

Squishy tacts. There actually kinda rare and only come in packs of 50.

- mymixed

I take credit for finding the "rare" squishy tactile switches. hehe...

Yes thats true. Sony found them, showed them to me and we both bought some. :D

- mymixed

Hmmmm they must be different from the ones I buy. The seller has 1167 packs available lol.

Or was that sarcasm?

No, It wasn't sarcasm. It was just kind of hard to find squishy tacts on ebay.

- mymixed

thanks bud. Those are gonna be useful eventually :awesome:

Yeah they're not rare :p People have been using those for a long time. And how long ago did you order them? They take like a week to show up.

Me? Ha 2 weeks probably! And you live in Cali too! meh.

- mymixed

Wait is it just me or is there no corrilation between these pics-

5155081844_cd66405897_z.jpg

and
5267388801_7e03054689_z.jpg

I thought that model was supposed to be what you portable would look like. Either way I'm sure it will look good.

OH YA! I was going to mention that! While in the process of making my case, I decided not to use that shape and go with a more square shape (bottom). I was also going to round off all the corners but decided not to and only round off the bottom ones. This actually made a preatty cool shape that is still very easy to hold! Also, my L, R, & Z buttons are going on the back while my c-stick is switching places with the A & B buttons. This makes It much easier to hold.

- mymixed

Back