The afternoon projects thread

That c64 with the mini box and everything is amazing. Please make these little consoles into keychains or something eventually!

Agreed those mini consoles are sex.

I haven't had alot of time for any real modding progress lately. But with A Link Between Worlds release looming I figured it was time to mod my 3DS so that I can backup my NAND flash and restore it if I'd like to. I haven't bought a Gateway/clone 3DS flashcart yet, but for those not in the loop you need to be on FW 4.5 or lower to use them. I'm currently still on 4.4 or something. So I figured why not backup before I have to update to play Zelda. This way I retain my ability to use 4.5 and below "hacks" if and when I decide to.

All in all the process wasn't to bad. On a non XL 3DS you have to remove the cart slot from the MB though, which proved to be a bit tricky.

I forgot to take pictures while wiring stuff. I just wired the 4 wires required to some jumper plugs for easy access.

r109.jpg

I made light up Christmas Ornaments.

Designed a mount for my GoPro for when I go scuba diving. will get all the stuff laser cut/3d printed at my local hackerspace after my January exams.

Edit: also need to design a torch mount so I can illuminate my shots.

7QW1SPF.png

Rough as *Can'tSayThisOnTV* prototype. Need to get some longer handles for the proper one but this setup should work for now :mrgreen:

1474509_10153629951275693_1081573195_n.jpg

You know, I thought about a mini makerbot a couple weeks ago, but thought it was too meta. But, eh, now that the cat's outta the bag, maybe it's time to pull the trigger on it and cliche cliche.

My parents came to visit. I needed a place to sleep, so I spent 20 minutes throwing together a cot the other night.
e7bi.jpg

For my oldest son's first soldering experience, we put together an "Escape Robot" maze-bot given to him by his grandparents on Christmas. It's a really really nice kit; the gearbox mechanism is very sturdy and doesn't have problems with the gears popping out like other kits.

The microcontroller program itself seems to have been done quite well, though we haven't put it through a rigorous maze test yet.

I would deem the level of difficulty as "medium;" the kit wasn't technical in nature, per se, just tedious. Overall a great kit to teach your kid(s) about mechanical and electronic engineering.

Next up... to teach the kid the difference between a EET and an EE major. We need to write a different program for the chip and try some reprogramming, if the chip supports it. (Haven't checked out the chip yet.)

If there's any interest I'll post a build log.

Edit: Buildlog anyway, courtesy of generic Windows Movie Maker effects:

Ok, so I had open my HP Mini netbook the other day cause my dog pissed on it. So I figured while I had it all apart, might as well change out some LEDs.

uge5eved.jpg

7yhevuqu.jpg

ba6yse8e.jpg

pu4y8u4u.jpg

All stock LED lights were white, changed out to red for the power supply indicator on the side and caps lock. Went for blue on the charging indicator and hdd activity LED. The originals were ones thay stood up but all I have are the ones that lay flat. They work so I don't care. Thanks for looking.

Back