The afternoon projects thread

Yah that is a little bit expensive for me. But it looks like you're making some quality stuff with it so I guess you got what you paid for.
Good job on all of these and I would love to see an amiga and gameboy in the future :D

I had an extra USB->SATA adapter laying about and needed a dvd drive for something. Seeing as my desktop doesn't have one and laptop drives use slimline SATA, I had a bit of a problem...

Some parts from my laptop and a bit of soldering later, I had this:
lpqb.jpg

hp66.jpg

xxmf.jpg

USB to Slimline SATA adapter for testing and impromptu external dvd drives.

I've had this little mummified baby snapping turtle for about 5 years now after I found him in a box at a garage sale. He's always resided in this little jar I had, which wasn't a very nice place for him, really. Found an antique coffin jewelry box that we just happened to have, and it all just came together.

uZd4Sff.jpg

RIP, Lenny.

Re: Re: The afternoon projects thread

ProgMetalMan said:
You are quickly rising in the ranks of scary people on this forum.
Sega please. Nickels is the top spooky.

5tm0.jpg

Yesterday, I made a bit of chainmail. Today I turned it into a bracelet.

Also, sweet coffin, buttcheeks. I approve.

Bought a laptop from a guy on craigslist for $20. This was the condition:
QH0od1ul.jpg

nBIZhOMl.jpg

(one of the mobos doesn't work)
Had it together in under 2 hours
a6qW4SGl.jpg

Last night I decided I wanted to play Halo ODST, but my TV sucks and gives me a headache, so I was gonna plug into one of my monitors and use that instead. But as it turns out, my 360 is a launch model (which I should know, because I've had it since late '05) so it doesn't have HDMI out. So I cracked the cable open, spliced it to a VGA cable, and got it working. My desk is entirely torn apart at the moment (moving rooms) so I didn't have my nice soldering iron or heatshrink or anything. So it's soldered with a butane portable iron, the ground lines are wire tied together since that iron doesn't seem to get hot enough to actually solder the shielding, and it's all isolated with cheap duct tape, but damnit, it works. Audio is run through line in on my Soundblaster, so I don't have to unplug my headphones and have volume control.
0tti2fp4bh7t4iy6g.jpg

myyagzxceqpscdc6g.jpg

Was gifted a server, here's the specs:

Fujitsu RX300 s5
Dual Xeon E5520 @ 2.26GHz turbos to 2.53GHz (8 cores 16 threads total)
24GB DDR3 1066MHz
2x 128GB SAS drives in Raid1
3x Hitachi 500GB SATA2 Drives in Raid5
3x Hitachi 500GB SATA2 Drives in Raid5
800W PSU (can run dual PSUs)

I, like most people, don't have a rack just lying around my house waiting for a rack mountable server to be installed so I built one. Fun Fact: A 2x4 is almost the perfect width for a 2U rack. If anybody wants a modretro community minecraft server or something I'd be happy to run one. I may just have to join the folding@home community with this thing otherwise.

s30m.jpg

iz9h.jpg

epon.jpg

Speaking of having server racks laying about the house...

The other day I got a pallet from work that they used to ship new servers.

I turned it into a table.
wycc.jpg

I plan to put shelves/servers under it and use them to hold game consoles, and to put a TV on top of it. Server rack/entertainment center. Heck yeah.

If you look closely, you can see some HermaSandals.

I got a couple of 22 inch 720p tvs for free.
I made a couple of xbox component cables to go with them.
BanBox Alpha will be done soon.
s7vu.jpg

Back