The 1-grand $US computer

GefilteFish

Well, summer's coming up along with a clusterfart of extra-time, so I feel like buying/building a new PC, but am also considering a laptop. I don't really need a laptop but im going to Germany on the 27th of july, and coming back near the same time in August, so I might need some portable entertainment, but a laptop is not too important for my schoolwork. Basically, anything that is worth buying and is 1000$ US or lower including taxes I would like to know about.

Well theres plenty of things that are under $1k and worth buying, but it really really really depends on what you want. If you want a desktop, building it yourself is the obvious choice, since you'll save assloads of money. In terms of a laptop, what is important? Portability? Battery life? Raw Gaming power?

samjc3 said:
Well theres plenty of things that are under $1k and worth buying, but it really really really depends on what you want. If you want a desktop, building it yourself is the obvious choice, since you'll save assloads of money. In terms of a laptop, what is important? Portability? Battery life? Raw Gaming power?

Laptop: Battery & Gaming

Desktop: Of course I'm building, sorry for stating otherwise in the topic paragraph

Of course, I might just let Germany run its course, mooching off my cousins' computers, but i dont wanna be a dick about it.

So therefore, post both with criteria specified, if specified

So if you are gonna go with a laptop, you are gonna have to decide on a screen size. There's models in every size class that have good battery life and reasonable battery life. Personally, if I had your budget I (would buy a mossberg MVP, but that's irrelevant) would buy a sager np6110, but that may not be right for you, if tiny isn't your thing.

samjc3 said:
So if you are gonna go with a , you are gonna have to decide on a size. There's models in every size class that have good battery life and reasonable battery life. Personally, if I had your budget I (would buy a mossberg MVP, but that's irrelevant) would buy a sager np6110, but that may not be right for you, if tiny isn't your thing.

Well, size doesn't matter much but I don't want it to be obsessively gigantic, so much that it defeats the purpose of a "portable" laptop, but I dont want it to be as small as a netbook cause then the screen is to small to actually do anything

and what about the 6165 from Sager?

GefilteFish said:
and what about the 6165 from Sager?
Looks like a pretty good deal. I haven't seen any reviews, so I don't know what the build quality is like, but based on specs, it looks hard to beat. I would recommend getting the matte screen if you can spare the extra $70. Well worth it in my opinion, so you can see what's on the screen rather than what's behind you.

Back