Steve's Ps3 Laptop Questions And Worklog.

TechSteve

Ok let's get started, i have gathered most of the parts required and im using a scrapped samsung led screen from a dead laptop, im using spare parts from a dead ps3 and im making the case out of an old laptop case. Question number one:where do i wire a monitor into the ps3's power supply?
Question number two: Is there any other fan that will cool the ps3 significantly enough to avoid a ylod? , because im TRYING to make this the smallest form factor possible and the fan that is included in the console is rather large. Here's what i have so far.
257d460.jpg

Not yet, but i already have plans to get one from njy tech, all i know is that it takes 12 volts and i need to wire it into the psu but i have no idea where ben wired his...

I'm doing the EXACT same thing as you- same seller for the controller too. Expect long shipping times...

They SAY you need 4A. No, you sould only need less than 1.5A with full backlight.
Wire the 12V off of the metal prongs you see connected to the motherboard. Keep a close eye on polarity.

For my laptop, and my sake, I didn't even bother with what Ben did for his laptop- I'd prefer for this to be MY portable using MY brain (as much as possible, there are things I don't know)

Props for the PS3 slim.

If i wire it off of the metal prongs going into the motherboard wont i reduce the amount of power going to the ps3?

Yes try that tonight and tell me how it goes, because ben did it somehow but i don't know how he did it!

Aww crap- whats the polarity on those pins? my multimeter is dead, so I'm not sure which is positive and which is negative.

Never mind- popped open my PSU- the pin on the side with the ports is GND, and the one facing the rest of the system is obviously 12V.

Success! Just follow polarity and you're good.
Not surprisingly, the LCD auto turns off when the system turns off- So if you were looking to include an external video IN then you'll have to look for another method.

One thing you can do, if you wanted external in, is wire an adapter off the power input (from the wall) so as long as the thing is plugged in, you can use it as an external monitor. If not, it's extremely easy. You can open up the PSU and wire it to there or wire to the prongs.

I think we need a good guide on PS3p making. I'll look into doing so.

HOLD ON A SECOND- Is that an IDE 2.5" drive? You'll need SATA.

HOOOORRAAAYY!!! just what i needed to know! :mrgreen: EDIT just read the ide drive thing YES i know i need sata lol i just put that there for the pic lol thats the hdd from my ps2p, ill be using a different ps3 for the parts than the one in the picture.
SECOND EDIT! I ordered my parts like my controller board and everything but....21-30 days till they get here! :eek: well i suppose im in no hurry...

Ok, got the board and everyhing wired up. But now it wont show my ps3 , however it will show my pc dvi and vga hmm.. Any ideas? Im using a hdmi dvi connector so it may just be bad.

Hold down the power button for 5 seconds until it beeps to cycle the inputs.

ta58qw.jpg
See works perfectly on my pc.. with a normal dvi cable. im sure its the hdmi to dvi...EDIT well i bought another hdmi to dvi and it works on the hdmi on my pc BUT it wont work on my ps3 my screen just goes black and flashes dvi up in the corner...im starting to think that this isnt hdcp compatible and THATS why it doesnt work.

Back