SS's Xenolithic Gratification Cuboid Worklog

ShockSlayer

Probably SS
PGC, or PONY GAME CUBE.
NEW NAME IS: XGC, or Xenolithic Gratification Cuboid.

230.png

I'm just kidding.

I want a name that isn't "SLGC lite." Suggest some? ::3:

Anyways, here's the first update:

IMG_7153.jpg

IMG_7148.jpg

IMG_7144.jpg

Got the full(but cut) heatsink from Ashen(along with a wonderful cube which you will see later), and I dremeled out the area for the fan. I started last night but because higher powers feel threatened by me they decided to send a flying piece of aluminum INTO THE DREMEL VENTS and jam it, killing it. Sparks, smoke, and sadness was abound.

Today I got up feeling like a boss so I got out my dad's other dremel, one of these:

dremel_multi_max.jpg

Put on the wood/metal cutting bit and within about 7 minutes I had my cut heatsink. Only thing I did wrong was, I clamped the heatsink down on my old workbench, which had hotglue abound on the edges. Heatsink got pretty hot when it was being cut, so the glue melted on the thermal paste side. I was going to wire brush it off when my dad reminded me of the wonderful chemical seen above. Spray on badassery, that's what that is. Within moments the hotglue was coming off like a breeze, this stuff is like, Billy Mays himself cleaning power.

And thus, after cleaning my heatsink I put the fan up to it and shabang, it looked awesome. Don't know which side of the fan should go up, probably the side with the metal shielding on it? Once I mount the fan I plan to implement a sort of "duct" system to control the air(probably using duct tape), an input and an output, meaning the heat doesn't go anywhere and everywhere in the portable.

SS

Re: SS's PGC Worklog

Heatsink looks sweet! Can't you get hot glue off with isopropyl alcohol, though?

Also, name it something clean and simple that isn't an acronym or anything, like, The Cube or something. Hopefully not as cheesy/stupid, though.

::3:

inb4spamalotthread
SS, call it "Gamecube", just to make it hard for people to google it.

WOW THAT IS SUCH AN AWESOME HEATSINK SETUP!?!

AND WOW LOOK AT THAT FAN!!

WHERE ON EARTH DID YOU THINK OF SUCH A BEAUTIFUL IDEA!?!?!

Ashen linked me to the fan a while back in my SLGC thread(and I bought two), and in general heatsinks have had inlaid fans for many many years now, some with partial duct systems similar to the one I tested midway through the SLGC. Heck, I think I used a fan/heatsink once in an N64p, I think it was my 6th?

I'm just finally doing this because cutting heatsinks has been a complete biiiiiiiitch without my now-beloved oscillating dremel. <3 I believe short of using some sort of heavy machinery an oscillating dremel is the best way to cut a heatsink. It's not the kind of dremel you use to cut a case with, though. I mean, well, you could, but it'd look like some of my earlier portables. :rofl: I'm actually so in love with this tool that I might make a video of it cutting different things.

SS

I thought of another name...
SLf.(Slim-Lite Fusion)
Sounds awesome to me.

ShockSlayer said:
Ashen linked me to the fan a while back in my SLGC thread(and I bought two), and in general heatsinks have had inlaid fans for many many years now, some with partial duct systems similar to the one I tested midway through the SLGC. Heck, I think I used a fan/heatsink once in an N64p, I think it was my 6th?

I'm just finally doing this because cutting heatsinks has been a complete biiiiiiiitch without my now-beloved oscillating dremel. <3 I believe short of using some sort of heavy machinery an oscillating dremel is the best way to cut a heatsink. It's not the kind of dremel you use to cut a case with, though. I mean, well, you could, but it'd look like some of my earlier portables. :rofl: I'm actually so in love with this tool that I might make a video of it cutting different things.

SS

Guess where Ashen got the fan link from? ;)

Oh and http://i.imgur.com/1HgvO.jpg (I tact it to one of the side walls of the bar a while back)

Only reason I'm pointing it out is cuz I spent 2 WEEKS looking for that fan. Couldn't tell you how many hours. But yeah, finding that fan online was an accomplishment. Thaz all :p

Oh, then by all means, thank you very much for your effort Tchay. I manlove you.

MEANWHILE IN MAMBY PAMBY LAND:

MAMBY.png

Aww yea. Most of what I'm working with was provided by Basement_modder for an older project that we were probably going to do.

SS

Yeah, uhm, apparently last night I got an email saying I had 3gb of bandwidth left, and then 5 minutes later it said I was out of bandwidth. So, uh, wat?

Think I'll just pay the $3 for the next month of hosting till my bandwidth resets. ::3:

SS

EDIT: Also, still looking for a name.

Noah7 said:

::3:

Back