SSD in a 360

Diminuendo

Im kinda getting sick of the stupidly long load times in Dead risin 2 and mass effect 2 I was wonderin if this would make much of a difference. (Im thinking about attaching a USB drive at the back for saves as well.)

I know the 360 has no TRIM command, but can that be fixed by regularly connecting it to a computer and running it? I hear some can do that actually within the hardware too.

any thoughts?

They can, sort of. I think certain models can be flashed to look like 360 hard drives or something like that, and there are clone hard drives out there. It will get you banned from LIVE, though.

wait, but inside the offical hard drive (for the original 360) is a 2.5 SATA drive, your saying, I'll get banned from live for opening that up and putting in my own hard drive?

Diminuendo said:
wait, but inside the offical hard drive (for the original 360) is a 2.5 SATA drive, your saying, I'll get banned from live for opening that up and putting in my own hard drive?
Basically, yes. Microsoft does not approve of any tampering. If they detect anything, you are banned. Oh, and watch out for the chip smashers. ;)

People have been banned for modifying FANS in their 360s.

People would tap into the DVD drive's power for 12 Volts to power bigger, fancier fans.
And end up banned.
Because M$ would monitor power consumption on the DVD Drive.
God Dang.

mako321 said:
Third party hard drives and unlicensed hard drives can't be used on 360s.

Wrong. Third party drives work fine as long as they have a valid ss.bin and are the correct series, there's a ton on Deal Extreme.

XCVG said:
It will get you banned from LIVE, though.

Wrong. It can be easily detected yes, but in the years that the hack has been available, Microsoft hasn't bothered running checks for it at all. Think about it, there's plenty of people who have no idea 3rd party drives aren't allowed, or might think they are buying a legitimate hard drive. Not to mention people who take their drives over to their friend's houses. What is much more likely to be done by Microsoft is to restrict it so that only one drive per ss.bin is allowed on Live at a time, or simply not let drives that use a leaked ss.bin be used at all. Even that seems unlikely though, but they definitely wouldn't ban.

jleemero said:

People would tap into the DVD drive's power for 12 Volts to power bigger, fancier fans.
And end up banned.
God Dang.

Actually, that was an unverified rumor that got spun way out of control. The case was never confirmed, nor has anyone else with a 12v fan mod been banned. Also, there has been people closely monitoring the data Live requests from consoles, and there is no evidence pointing toward the rumor being true, although like the hard drives, they COULD do it in theory, but just don't do the checks for it.

Diminuendo said:
Im kinda getting sick of the stupidly long load times in Dead risin 2 and mass effect 2 I was wonderin if this would make much of a difference. (Im thinking about attaching a USB drive at the back for saves as well.)

I know the 360 has no TRIM command, but can that be fixed by regularly connecting it to a computer and running it? I hear some can do that actually within the hardware too.

any thoughts?
Diminuendo said:

You can't simply pop in any 2.5" Sata drive and expect it to work. You need to use a drive from the Western Digital Scorpio series and need to use hddhackr to prepare the drive. In addition, you'll need a valid ss.bin from a real 360 drive, matching the size you want. For instance, if you buy a 250gb drive, you'll need an ss.bin from an official MS 250gb drive, if you use one from a smaller drive, let's say a 120gb, then you'll be limited to the size of the original drive (120gb). You can download leaked ss.bins for all drives on the net, but like I said before, if Microsoft decides to disable drives using a leaked ss.bin, you'll need to extract it from a legit drive yourself and make sure you are the only one using it.

EDIT: Another alternative is to just get a JTAG'd 360, because if that's the case then you can just pop in whatever drive you want into the shell.

jleemero said:

And end up banned.
God Dang.
That's why I power my fans straight from the 12v line on the DC in port.

Back