Spectre GCP [Worklog]

Bum

Well Howdy Everybody! I have been a long time lurker and have now decided to start my own portable! I decided that I would make a GCp as it is one of my favorite consoles EVER and I like a good challenge ;) . As well I have noticed that at least 2 other people are making a Wii U Gamecube, so its either going to become a competition :twisted: or collaboration... We will see...

PARTS LIST
(Sorted in terms of Necessity)

TO BE AQUIRED

1. 12v 4800 mAh Rechargable Battery: $22.30 (Free Shipping)
http://dx.com/p/rechargeable-4800mah-li ... ore-100073[/color]

Optional:
-Extra Official Gamecube Controller
-For the ABXY buttons, Real feel.

ALREADY HAVE
1. One Gamecube Mother Board with Original Regulator Soldered VIA the 5 wire method.(Rev. 2, I Believe... It was missing the debug port on the bottom)

2. A Rather Unfortunately Disgusting GC Controller. (Spent at least 2 hours cleaning it and to no avail... The X and Y Buttons don't work...)

3. Any tool, wire, supply I will need. I have a class on Electronics and I have access to basically anything I will need in the process.

4. Time! Spring Break just started for me so I have plenty of time for whatever I need to do. I plan to work on the case over the next week.

1. (Recieved) Wii U Gamepad Case: $8 (Free Shipping)
http://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Nintendo- ... +hard+case

2. (Recieved) 5" Zenith LCD: $36 (Free Shipping)
http://www.sears.com/zenith-5/p-0584358 ... ckType=G13

3. (Recieved) Wiikey Fusion: $30 ($4.50)
http://www.modchipsdirect.com/wiikey-fu ... -chip.html

SO, to get started off, I have chosen a Modified Wii U Gamepad as the case for my system. I wanted to stay true to the 4::3: output of the Gamecube so I am using a 5" Zenith screen. I plan to remove (At Last Calculation) about 1.5" for the center of the Gamepad Case to accommodate the screen. The controls will be "bondoed" in. I am still unsure whether I want to use two tact switches for the L and R or I have an old MadCatz controller with rotational pots on the L and R (I believe it is the same as what Tchay used in his Envision). I believe the audio amp is handled by the screen as well as a switching headphone jack. I chose to use the Original Regulator as when I tried to get a sample of one of the Custom Regs, the quantity came up as zero... and I didn't want to go though the hassle of getting in touch with TI Customer Service to get Samples of the Regs. I still have to figure out a 12v-7.4v conversion for the screen however.

I have some pictures that I will post later. Feedback is welcome!

Thanks guys.

Bum.

7ba2e8a4-a742-43af-a6f6-653ffb3b260e_zpsd3a01f1f.jpg

First Power Up WOOOO!

d68ae0ce-a667-4403-8279-02e0cbc9a56e_zpscafa3853.jpg

My Soldering Job...

I wouldn't suggest getting that battery from DX. Those "blue battery packs" lie about their rating so I highly doubt it's really 12v 4800mAh. I would suggest ordering batteries from batteryspace or all-battery.

Cool, Thanks! I wanted a "Charge and Play" function I guess it would be better to have battery life.
Are the cells or the flat packs better?

Um I personally use cells and not flat packs, but I guess it doesn't really matter. I've owned Flat packs and they work fine also. I guess it's personally preference and also how u can fit batteries in your case.

I was doing a little thinking and have come to the conclusion that I might try the battery, as it is only $20 some dollars. Plus BlueLemming is using one of them for his WiiBoy and it seemed to work well. If not, it isn't that big of a deal, its only my first portable.

The 6800 mAH one works great for me. No problems whatsoever other than the slow charge rate; but for it's price, I'm not complaining.

I also suggest cutting the ends of those wires shorter and resoldering. You're prone to shorts and running into weird problems.

They work but the actual mAh on them is 980 mAh , 1280 mAh, and 1580 mAh. That is for the 4800mAh - 9600mAh packs.

So the one you are looking at will last less than 45 minutes on a charge.

They work but the actual mAh on them is 980 mAh , 1280 mAh, and 1580 mAh. That is for the 4800mAh - 9600mAh packs.

So the one you are looking at will last less than 30 minutes on a charge.

I haven't tested the amperage with a meter, but it powered my Wii with no screen hooked up for 2 hours and 15 minutes (20-30 minutes playing Super Smash Bros Brawl, 10-15 playing Melee and the rest just idling at the Melee character select.). 2 hours with a screen but with just pure idling at the character select. Here's the specific link I ordered from:

http://dx.com/p/ysd-12680-rechargeable- ... lue-140120

Theres no way unless they changed something.

I have 3 of them and none will power a Gcp for more than 30 minutes.

Maybe they are making them different but the one you linked to is the exact same as mine size and writing and plugs.

I ordered some PTH08080 regulator samples from TI and was wondering if connect them in a certain fashion to get 7.5v output (To power the screen) as they can each individually output a max of 5.5v. Is that at all possible? I have my doubts as I would have to connect them in series, but it doesn't look like they would allow that...

Hailrazer, maybe his GC had a short and thus turned it on and didn't do anything but the fan kept spinning and he assumed his GC was running.

hailrazer said:
Theres no way unless they changed something.

I have 3 of them and none will power a Gcp for more than 30 minutes.

Maybe they are making them different but the one you linked to is the exact same as mine size and writing and plugs.

I noticed there were several links to that same battery pack. Ones that had reviews, ones that didn't. I don't really know how dx works so that's why I provided the link. It's your choice to believe me though, and with your situation, I can see why you don't.

carlifirio said:
Hailrazer, maybe his GC had a short and thus turned it on and didn't do anything but the fan kept spinning and he assumed his GC was running.

Nope, I was powering my Wii and had it sit at the SSBM character select screen. Turned up TV and listened for when the music stopped.

Oh good then, :) i'm glad it isn't your wiring and that you have an advantage with that baterry pack since it provides 2 hours :).

Glad to help.

Well would you lookie here... Sorry for crappy photos...

IMG_20130405_165129_zps1378526a.jpg

The Gamepad case came! Ahead of Schedule!

IMG_20130405_165153_zps4d0b2ba1.jpg

Motherboard and Case, The edges can be trimmed to fit the contour.

IMG_20130405_165213_zps8753d9f3.jpg

Heat Sink, Planning and cutting down the fins. Looks good.

As well, I should be getting my Screen today! If Sears agrees with me that is.

Looks like the screen is going to take even longer to arrive... Gosh dang sears... BESIDE THE POINT! Does anyone know of any place I could possible find a usable heatsink without having to get it shipped. By this I mean, are there any devices that have good sized heatsinks that I could use. If that makes sense...

See if you have like dead laptops you can get the heatsink from. You''ll probably have to mod it though.

Back