Soldering Question For GCP!

Hey Everyone,

Good afternoon,

About to start working on my GameCube portable and really needed some suggestions as far as what soldering iron is the best for what we are doing here? As Well as flux and actual solder

I do not want to fry my board, and would greatly appreciate the advice! Thank you peeps!

A simple radioshack soldering iron is all you really need to get started. I got my first soldering iron from walmart for $10 i think. I prefer to use thin solder. I'm using .5mm solder right now from radioshack. You dont need to use a lot of solder as too much will cause shorts. I guess any flux will work really. I use flux that I'm "borrowing" from my dad which he used for plumbing i think.

It's probably not the best to use plumbing flux, as it can be a bit corrosive to boards. I'd say go for a no-clean flux that you can easily get at Radio Shack. Most soldering irons will work, the ones at Wal Mart in the automotive section are actually pretty darn good for a cheap 5 dollar iron. Also as bugman was saying, thin solder is nice. I personally use a really thin silver mix solder that I'm quite fond of.

For the love of pig, can you please keep your questions in one thread?

Back