SoD's Portable Gamecube

I got really interested in this a few days ago and couldn't help but join ^_^

Anyway, I originally wanted to make an N64, but after seeing Tecknoff's portable gamecube I figured I'd do a little research. I was surprised that it cost's almost half as much to make a GC than an N64 O_O

Before I begin though, how much voltage would I need to run the portable?

(PS: If Ben Heckendorf is here, I'd like to also ask him why he didn't just use 9v rechargeable batts instead of 7.2v li-ion batts for his portable N64. They're cheap and a lot smaller than all those cells packed into that little red casing..)

JJWOLF said:
11.1v
5000mah
That would work nice

Thanks :) I really liked Tecknoff's chrome version of the GCp, all except those wacky levers on the back...
So, have you been working on/finished your own GCp as well?

SoulofDeity said:
(PS: If Ben Heckendorf is here, I'd like to also ask him why he didn't just use 9v rechargeable batts instead of 7.2v li-ion batts for his portable N64. They're cheap and a lot smaller than all those cells packed into that little red casing..)
lol, Benheck doesn't come here, he goes on his own forums
I see you come from zelda universe

He doesn't go on his own forum either. He doesn't do anything. It's been who knows how many years since his last portable.

You are my soul

SoulofDeity said:
Anyway, I originally wanted to make an N64, but after seeing Tecknoff's portable gamecube I figured I'd do a little research. I was surprised that it cost's almost half as much to make a GC than an N64 O_O
Iv'e never made a GameCube portable but I don't think that it costs half as much as a n64 portable.

FierceDeity said:
You are my soul
Iv'e never made a GameCube portable but I don't think that it costs half as much as a n64 portable.
:lol: A N64 cost like 30 dollars and a GameCube 10...

Holly crap 10$ for a GameCube. That's cheep I thought it was more like $30. But an n64 does not coast $30 if you buy as is ones. I got 10 n64s as is for $75 shipped.

FierceDeity said:
Holly crap 10$ for a GameCube. That's cheep I thought it was more like $30. But an n64 does not coast $30 if you buy as is ones. I got 10 n64s as is for $75 shipped.
Pretty good deal!
I once got a GC, a original Nintendo controller, AV Cables and power supply for Free!! :dahroll:

Yeah, yeah, Gamecubes can be found just as cheap as n64s. A GC portable isn't cheaper than an n64 one, that's for sure.

Batteries need to be pretty hefty if you expect decent battery life. I'm talking about spending $100+ for just two hours of life.

Also, in my experience, you are going to burn through gamecubes faster than n64s. And gamecube controllers are much easier to kill and harder to rewire, too.

SS

ShockSlayer said:
Batteries need to be pretty hefty if you expect decent battery life. I'm talking about spending $100+ for just two hours of life.
Remember those batteries I use for my GameCube Lite?
They cost me 9 dollar for one, I bought 3 of them so I could make a replaceable battery pack system. :cool:

~Hugo

ShockSlayer said:
Hugo_Peters said:
Remember those batteries I use for my GameCube Lite?

No, no I don't.

Also, your sig is gigantic, make it smaller.
I ment those batteries:
interactmobilepower.jpg

I will make my sig smaller in a moment.

~Hugo

You can get cheap batts that are actually good if you know where to look.
As ss said, be prepared to set up a graveyard as gamecubes are way easier to brake than n64s. My gamecubes usually brake for no reason... come to think of it... so do my n64s.
Trust me, I finished my portable and it was all working fine then the next day it died. :( :( :(

βeta said:
He doesn't go on his own forum either. He doesn't do anything. It's been who knows how many years since his last portable.

"Benjamin J. Heckendorn
Goin' old school today - designing a portable version of an old game system. One I've never built before!
December 29, 2010 at 10:09am"

Jidan said:
βeta said:

"Benjamin J. Heckendorn
Goin' old school today - designing a portable version of an old game system. One I've never built before!
December 29, 2010 at 10:09am"
Exactly how many portables has he built? There are more for him to build? :eek:

*asbsorption of knowledge complete*

what if I buy a crapload of rechargable watch batteries, those have a long life lol

^ (intended as a joke, but is it possible?)

Let's say each has a capacity of 120mAh. Maybe a bit high but it's somewhere in that ballpark. They are typically 3 volts, although rechargeables might be 3.6V. Either way you would need four in series to comfortably power a GameCube. However, 120mAh is flax capacity- it probably won't even be able to start because they won't be able to provide the current. Putting ten sets of four in parallel takes up 40 batteries and gets you 1200mAh at 14.4V. You're gonna need a Heck of a lot more than that. It would be so complex, prone to failure, and expensive you might as well just use D cells.

Back