So It's been a couple months since Windows 8 has been out.

laingsoft

Formerly SteamDNT
What are you're thoughts on it?
I love it so far. I have it installed on all of my laptops. The Metro interface isn't bad, and It isn't obtrusive. The deep search is fast, and I haven't had any problems. The new task manager is *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing awesome, and the inclusion of ribbons into the explorer windows is awesome. My performance has also jumped, so it's obvious there was a ton of optimization done.

The only thing I don't like is the way it enforces driver signature verification. It's a pain in the ass, but I just wrote a script that goes "shutdown.exe -r -o -t 00", Then everything is golden when I need to install a windows 7 driver.

For reference, I am running:
i5 M430
Mobility Radeon HD 5000
4GB RAM
120GB Corasir Force GT Sata 3
500GB WD Scorpio Blue

Re: So It's been a couple months since Windows 8 has been ou

Been using it on my laptop for a while. I love it. I don't even have a SSD, and my computer goes from off to login screen in 16 seconds.

After getting used to Metro, I actually like it a lot.

I just dropped two 4 gig sticks in this laptop instead of the 2gigs it had. It's awesome, raised my WEI score in RAM from 5.9 to 6.7.

Have it on my htpc and laptop. Working very well for those so far. Kept Metro as the main UI for my htpc because it fits very nicely, but I installed Start8 on my laptop since I don't think traditional laptops/desktops are suited to metro at all. Still, the performance and battery gains on laptops makes it well worth it.

I'll install it on my desktop maybe next time I reformat/upgrade, but I'm in no rush.

Maybe I'm a dunce but I can't seem to figure out how to navigate the OS when I look at computers at Walmart or Best Buy or wherever. I've read descriptions of the OS, but when I get in front of it in person I feel like a moron who doesn't know how to use a computer.

I feel the exact same way. My dad has a Windows 8 laptop and I can barely operate it. It also bothers me they changed the direction of the trackpad scrolling. Now pulling down scrolls up like on a Macbook.

I mean, it's pretty and it's fast, and I'm sure I would get used to it, but I'm very accustomed to Win7 and such.

Hermaphroditus said:
I feel the exact same way. My dad has a Windows 8 laptop and I can barely operate it. It also bothers me they changed the direction of the trackpad scrolling. Now pulling down scrolls up like on a Macbook.

I mean, it's pretty and it's fast, and I'm sure I would get used to it, but I'm very accustomed to Win7 and such.
I was wondering about the trackpad scrolling being flipped. My TrackPoint doesn't seem to want to scroll in Steam, so I have to either manually drag it or use the trackpad.

AbyssPWNS said:
Hermaphroditus said:

I was wondering about the trackpad scrolling being flipped. My TrackPoint doesn't seem to want to scroll in Steam, so I have to either manually drag it or use the trackpad.
Trackpoints are always just kinda buggy unless you can find the right driver though, which I haven't yet for my T60.

Don't know if the trackpad thing is even Microsoft's fault though. For me, it was caused by a setting in synaptics which I quickly changed.

It isn't. My trackpad driver didn't switch over in the move, so I am using the windows default. It has normal scrolling.

Brian, Just go to the desktop, everything is the same. If you want to find a program, hit the windows key and start typing.

Metro is *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing terrible, I don't even use it for my HTPC (XBMC FTW). Other than that, it's just different enough from Win7 to be annoying. And it's supremely ugly- Aero looks far, far better in my opinion. My main desktop and my laptop remain on Win7. When I install my SSD and reformat my desktop, it'll remain on Win7.

I could go on a long rant, but, eh, have more important things to do. Real Life and such.

But I'll wait for Windows 9.

XCVG said:
I don't even use it for my HTPC (XBMC FTW)

I personally find XBMC's video playing application is horrible and juddery, and almost every 2 weeks an update for any online streaming service totally breaks everything.

Each to their own though.

I have win 8 installed, but I haven't been using it much at all. One of these days I'm gonna migrate my 7 install over to a win 8 server install. I don't like metro at all, but I never really use start menu functions at all, so its hardly relevant to me. And 8 server is actually real nice - has a lot of the bullflax stripped out.

XCVG said:
I don't even use it for my HTPC (XBMC FTW)

I *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing love XBMC, but for my purposes it's more convenient to use Metro to launch stuff like games and whatnot. Also, the Netflix app on Metro is pretty nice, and Netflix on XBMC has always been iffy.

Don't worry, if I need to watch a video or listen to music I always use XBMC. Even installed a custom tile for it.

I really don't like windows 8. It uses practically the same coding as their phones and tablets. I would get windows 8 if it had the basic desktop and start menu like in windows 7, and I'm too lazy to buy a 3rd party program to do so.

The desktop is included. And there are a ton of programs that add the start menu for free, and you can even use the official Windows 7 explorer.exe. That way you get all the backend improvements and you don't have to Sega about Metro.

I don't get how people complain that they have to install software *gasp* to customize their windows experience.
Removing metro is a google search away, I don't even.

Back