SNES project log (56k apologies) Updated 08/01/2009

neverused

I decided to work on this since my N64p is on hold (I'm cheating and having SS wire it up. Two N64s that won't output video and only show a red led are telling me that I'm just not getting something right). Either way my plan is to use:

*3.5" LCD Monitor "LED Backlight" screen
*FC Twin (SNES side only thanks to grahf)
*Stereo amp (Thanks to Rekarp)
*SOFT-CASE XL - No Batt. Comp't (FREE SAMPLE)- 3.622"x5.905"x1.102" (LxWxH)
*Internal batteries- if anyone has some suggestions, please let me know. I'd like them to be some sort of lithium type and fit into a space about (LxWxH) 2.5"x0.5"x1.0"
*Parts from my collection of dissambled controllers
*Anything else I forgot

And on to the pics of my build so far:

Here are some comparisons of the SNES side of the FC Twin with a cartridge:
1.jpg

2.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For this project to work, the FC Twin had to be trimmed down, as it was too large to fit in my free case. To fix this, I traced out all of the necessary connections to the power board and relocated all of the connections so that I could cut off everything above the cart slot. Here's my mess of wires after tracing everything:
Front view far:
3.jpg

Back view far:
4.jpg

Front view close:
6.jpg

Back view close:
5.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After I trimmed the top portion, the board just barely fit. Here are some size comparisons:
Height:
7.jpg

Width:
8.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I also started trimming the power board, but I haven't had time to do so. Here's my start and a few case shots too:

Power Board:
9.jpg

Side:
10.jpg

Back:
11.jpg

I still have to dremel out the controls, as well as purchase the screen and batteries, but at least it's a start!

neverused

Re: SNES project log (56k apologies)

I made a quick diagram/ mock up of the locations I used for the power board, just so that I don't forget. The numbers follow the same pattern from grahf's post referenced towards the beginning of this log. From what I have seen, FC Twins can vary, so this may not help you too much, but feel free to use it if you like:

diagram4.jpg

I believe it is similar, if not the same one. There are about 4 different sizes.

Nice so far. Looks pretty small.

Rekarp has a guide on getting rid of the bottom board of that screen. Also, I take it you're going to relocate the cart slot?

Bibin was making one, then he sold it to me, and I ruined it. :wtf: The system is awesome!

bacteria said:
Triton I believe was doing this system too, in a widdened GameBoy case.

Nice work so far!

Unfortunately, I have a feeling that mine won't be as small as his will be once it's done. I have to admit that I was more motivated by grahf's Polycase SL-64.

eurddrue said:
Bibin was making one, then he sold it to me, and I ruined it. :wtf: The system is awesome!

How did you ruin it?

XCVG said:
Nice so far. Looks pretty small.

Rekarp has a guide on getting rid of the bottom board of that screen. Also, I take it you're going to relocate the cart slot?

This is true. I plan to try using it once I order my screen, which should be later this week or tonight.

Drue, I will take what you think is a ruined FC Twin off your hands for a cracked iPod Video!

I like the way that case looks! Could we get some more pictures of it? What is it?

If you already went over that, I apologize, my time is limited and I just looked at the pictures.

Minor update, I purchased all of the parts for my audio amp from Mouser and purchased my screen too. Both orders should be arriving in the next day or so, after which I'll have a better idea of just how tight this will be. I dare say that this will rival Bacteria's IntoSugar project for lack of room.

As a side note, it seems that my N64 project has died for the last time and I will not be finishing it for a while :cry4:. Because this is the case, my N64 project is becoming a parts donor and I will be taking the batteries and trying them out in this project. As they are LI-ions and make up a 7.4V unit, would this 7805 replacement be worth the space and money, given the ~290 mA draw of the FC Twin?

Thanks!

@ßeta: I will post better photos of my case as soon as I get my camera back or steal my little brothers.

I know a few people who swear by that regulator. If your portable is going to be small, use it to preent overheating.

Ok, I changed my mind about the regulator. I'll try the stock one first and then decide if that one is worth it.

Also, I got my screen today. Pics later!

UPDATE:

I had promised to post pics of my new screen, but I only have one to show, as my camera is currently in NY, and I am in AZ. However, I used my brother's old one to compare it to my 2nd Generation iPod Touch:

lcdcomp.jpg

I still plan on hacking the screen to rid myself of the board on the left a la Rekarp's guide.

I've also got a comparison of the same iPod to the front of my case:

comp1.jpg

And last is my trimmed up power board with quite a few things relocated. This is an awful comparison to the original board done in MS Paint:

pbcomp.jpg

I hope to have more work to post soon.

Back