Slot Loading Disc Drive?

Mawile

Hello is there a way I can either convert a normal disc drive into a slot loading disc drive for my portable. Or is there a way to make a click in thing for the disc drive to pop it out and in of the body of the portable. first portable so it is quite large so size shouldn't be a problem.

diagram_zpsd595cf0c.png

Slot loading mechs are pretty complex. Your best bet is to find an old slot loading drive and see how many of the mechanical bits and bobs you can make to fit with the electrical bits from the drive you want to make slot loading.

RDC used an old iMac drive as a donor to make a slot loading xbox 360. I think there's still a bit of the thread on the benheck.com forums if you want to look into it.

Also, no need to crosspost the same thing across three different sections. I declare this to be the actual thread.

Does anyone know how i can make the drive click into the main body of the portable as i showed in the first post?

easy, although fragile way, would be IDE headers and wing nuts.
If you want to get clever with it, you could probably use an HDMI port and make something like the screw slots on the backs of power strips for it to slide in.

Jeez man, this forum is slow... You only need to bump like... once a week... here.

I would play around with some busted laptops a bit. You'll learn a lot about how you could do this just by pulling the disc drives out of them.

sorry but it keeps saying that is has only read posts.

i don't actually have any laptops currently so would you be able to either PM me the instructions or post them here?

No, I will not hold your hand through this.
I have neither the materials nor the desire to build something like this, only the suggestions on how it could be done.
Start breaking stuff. It's the best way to figure it out. Maybe you could be the one to write a guide for it!

Back