Signs of a fried GC? and wasp/wiikey question.

xy007

Ok so what are the signs of a fried gc? Will it look similar to if a dvd drive is not hooked up?

Also, I just soldered a megadrive v5 to my CPU-30:
Edit just tested with lid switch bridged and p29 to gamecube ground. LED on wasp does not illuminate. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Edit: AHHH I got it working. Freaken figures, you MUST have a formated sd card in the card slot or you will get the no disc drive error. I checked my solder points 5 times over and didn't have but just one sort of bad joint that I fixed.

Now I think I just have to solder a switch for the p29 pin??? When I start swiss it says to initiate the wiikey or something.

(first wasp in screwed up, I tried a second and it works fine.)

TJPVNVeh.jpg

7iuRXD8h.jpg

and was wondering if I had to bridge any other connections on the gamecube side (-V or +V)?

A fried GameCube won't turn on at all. It would just not respond to voltage provided. If you don't put a DVD drive on it some motherboards will turn on and give you an error, but some are fine without it.

Blargaman91 said:
A fried GameCube won't turn on at all. It would just not respond to voltage provided. If you don't put a DVD drive on it some motherboards will turn on and give you an error, but some are fine without it.

Yes I am getting an error to shut off and reference manual in a red text box after a few sec of text saying something about time or clock. I am pretty sure it is because the wasp is not working correctly or something(eg no drive found). I am very happy to hear though that my cube isn't fried.

On badass consoles the megadrive v5 reference pic is hooked up with out a lid switch(bridged) or a p29 switch. So thats what I did today. I am just now realizing I didn't have the controller input board connected when I first tested that may have caused a problem. But I then connected a switch as the wiikey guide had recommended and still got the error. I am going to go double check real fast to see if the wasp led is even lighting up.

Edit just tested with lid switch bridged and p29 to gamecube ground. LED on wasp does not illuminate. Any suggestions?

this can happen with a bad solder joint
the DVD filters are conveniently close for testing pinout of your solder joints...

another possibility, make sure you have the card slot connected to WASP with a card in the slot...
failure to do so will default the WASP into DVD passthru mode and cause errors since you have no real DVD drive connected inline with WASP.

megalomaniac said:
this can happen with a bad solder joint
the DVD filters are conveniently close for testing pinout of your solder joints...

another possibility, make sure you have the card slot connected to WASP with a card in the slot...
failure to do so will default the WASP into DVD passthru mode and cause errors since you have no real DVD drive connected inline with WASP.

Ok thanks for the response, I had checked the solder joints by checking continuity between topside game cube contacts and megadrive solder points. But I will check through the filters to.

I was trying at one point with the card slot not plugged in, would that cause any permanent problems?

Is there a certain continuity value that I should avoid? if I remember correctly I had around a average of 1.3 ohms or so on each joint.

Oh and one more question, can I initially wire the p29 pin and lid switch the way I did?

The way you had the lid switch and pin29 wired in the first picture is fine. That should work. And 1.3 ohms is close enough to 0 ohms, that means there is a connection. Maybe one of the DVD data pins is bridged with another pin. You might want to check that none of the pins are touching each other.

Blargaman91 said:
The way you had the lid switch and pin29 wired in the first picture is fine. That should work. And 1.3 ohms is close enough to 0 ohms, that means there is a connection. Maybe one of the DVD data pins is bridged with another pin. You might want to check that none of the pins are touching each other.

Ok I will check that out!

Edit: AHHH I got it working. Freaken figures, you MUST have a formated sd card in the card slot or you will get the no disc drive error. I checked my solder points 5 times over and didn't have but just one sort of bad joint that I fixed.

Now I think I just have to solder a switch for the p29 pin??? When I start swiss it says to initiate the wiikey or something.

Back