screens you can and can't use

samjc3

#1 Female Member
Screens you can use:
-sony psone screen
-any screen made to be put on a game console
-pustom 2-3 inch screens
-hipgear screenpad screens
-AEIcomp screens (you must build your own audio amp, though)
-casio pocket tv's with video input

Screens you cant use:
-ipod/zune/mp3 player/cell phone/ any other integrated screen
-laptop screens
-nomad/ other handheld game devices

Screens with strings attached:
-portable dvd player screens. can be used if the player has video inputs, but you need to keep the mobo from the player.
-gameboy screens. can be used, but you need a video input cartridge, and the gameboy mobo must be intact.

if i missed any, tell me and ill add them.

I saw a Casio EV-680 go for $13 shipped! :eek: 3" TFT active matrix screen, 320x240... Very sexy. And, there is lots of hacking info for it!

Commonly Used Screens

Copied from BH, still have to fix the links and add some more info. Can someone sticky this please?

There are several screens that are commonly used. Here's a (incomplete) list. This is not supposed to be in-depth, just a nice overview.

Key:
C=accepts composite video
S=accepts S-video
RGB=accepts RGB video

1. PSOne Screen (C/RGB) (7-9V)(PAL or NTSC versions)(model no SCPH-131)
The creme de la creme of screens. At 5 inches, it's about the right size for most homemade portables. The board is larger than the screen but can be trimmed. It takes composite and RGB and requires about 7-9V. It is a very well documented screen; plenty of info on it. Consumes about 400mA with a LED mod, 700ma without. Unfortunately, it has become somewhat expensive to get. It can be purchased slightly cheaper as a Zenith PS2 screen. The Zenith is exactly the same screen but has a different input board and speakers. There are other recases out there as well. Probably the best screen for portabilizing.
Guide LED Mod
ps1screen.jpg

(picture shamelessly ripped from eBay)

2. Pustom 2.5"/3" Screens (C)(12V, has been run down to 5V)(NTSC/PAL)
These screens are cheap and decent. Not great, but decent. Small, good for small portables. It only accepts composite unfortunately. It's designed for 12V but I've heard it being run down to 5V. Has built in mono crap sound I think. Cheap and readily availible from DealExtreme or eBay. LoB has hacked a 2.5" one.
pustom3.bmp
pustom25.bmp

3. AEIComp 2.5"/3.5" Screens (C)(3.3V-12V)(NTSC/PAL)
These screens are expensive but good. You have to do a considerable amount of hacking- they have a large unnecessary input board and no audio amp. Has an LED backlight already-very power efficient. I'm not going to go through this in detail; instead I will refer you to Rekarp's excellent guide.

4. Hipgear/Intec Screenpad (C/???)(9V+ (has been run on 7.4V?), 5V+ with regulator removed)(NTSC, possibly PAL availible)
I don't know a lot about this screen, other than it is 2.5" (or is it 1.8") and is attached to a PS2 controller. Perhaps someone can fill me in. As far as I know the Intec and Hipgear versions are the same. Power consumption varies with voltage. I think a GC version is availible as well.
MORE INFO!
hipgear_spad.jpg

Other Screens you can use:

1. Any AEIComp screen that accepts composite or RGB.
2. A computer monitor or small TV that accepts S-video, composite, or sometimes component or VGA.
3. A pocket TV.
4. Any sort of game screen, but the Intec and most others are total crap.

Screens that you CAN'T use:

1. Game boy, game gear, DS, or PSP screens.
2. iPod or MP3 screens.
3. Most portable DVD players.
4. Cellphones.
5. Pretty much anything that doesn't take a normal signal.
Screens that can sorta be used:
1. Portable DVD players, certain types. You have to keep the main board.
2. GBA. You need an input cart and the whole friggin' gameboy.
3. Nomad screen. Accepts RGB, but expensive and crap.
4. Laptop LCD. If you have a certain type and about $200 to blow on an encoder, that is.

More is coming soon, more links, more screens, maybe more information. Stay tuned!

EDIT: Screens that can and can't and can sorta be used.
EDIT 2: Moar info!

There are many other screens you can use, but the casio EV-680 and PSone/ zeneth have the most documented info. If building a portable for the first time, use one of them.

Re: Commonly Used Screens

4. Hipgear/Intec Screenpad (C/???)(9V+, 5V+ with regulator removed)(NTSC, possibly PAL availible)
I don't know a lot about this screen, other than it is 2.5" (or is it 1.8") and is attached to a PS2 controller. Perhaps someone can fill me in. As far as I know the Intec and Hipgear versions are the same. Power consumption varies with voltage. I think a GC version is availible as well.
MORE INFO!
hipgear_spad.jpg

i am useing a PAL intec one and it is working fine on 7.4v

you may want to add the verge screen to the list. It is a recased ps1 screen, just like the zenith, except they usually go for a lot cheaper on sites such as ebay.

Id just like to point out that the GameGear is like the GB. It works with the TV input add-on but you need darn near the entire system intact. I know its not great qality or size but I know someone will ask.

wait, that gave me an idea. the TV tuner can still be used if you connect a converer box to it. Would be cords everywhere, though.

The Hipgear screens and Intec pad screens are totally different. They are both 2.5", have built in audio, and are super easily hackable though. I've never personally used a Hipgear screen, but the Intec pad screens are pretty nice quality for the price. They just seem to be pretty rare these days.

A couple general statements about all screens: If the screen has composite video input (RCA plugs or sometimes a headphone-like plug - usually yellow for video with white and red for left [mono] and right audio respectively) then you can use it for a portable. If the screen does NOT have composite input (such as almost any device with a built in screen) then it most likely uses a proprietary signal, meaning that the screen cannot use any input but that from the device it is already connected to. Some screens accept RGB or S-video but not composite. If you have a console that outputs RGB or S-video, then you can use a screen that accepts that instead of composite.

Neildo_64 said:
The Hipgear screens and Intec pad screens are totally different. They are both 2.5", have built in audio, and are super easily hackable though. I've never personally used a Hipgear screen, but the Intec pad screens are pretty nice quality for the price. They just seem to be pretty rare these days.

Really? From what I read they are the same inside. More info!

Neildo_64 said:
A couple general statements about all screens: If the screen has composite video input (RCA plugs or sometimes a headphone-like plug - usually yellow for video with white and red for left [mono] and right audio respectively) then you can use it for a portable. If the screen does NOT have composite input (such as almost any device with a built in screen) then it most likely uses a proprietary signal, meaning that the screen cannot use any input but that from the device it is already connected to. Some screens accept RGB or S-video but not composite. If you have a console that outputs RGB or S-video, then you can use a screen that accepts that instead of composite.

+1, nicely summarized.

J.D said:
Laptop screens can be used, if the console has VGA Output, right?
no. laptop screens dont take vga. most use the lvds connection, which is 16bit rgb, with all the chroma lines and sync's split. you need very spendy converter boards, like this one:
http://www.dpie.com/lcd/crttolcd5.html
seriously, those cost like 250 bucks a piece, and the minimum order is 5000. there are others, including one which i am researching, that is actually affordable. more after the jump. maybe. :cool:

loip90876 said:
themadhacker said:
It doesn't work? ....
no. it doesnt. integrated screens very very rarely work. (the only ones that can be used are from devices that have video in, such as pocket tv's, and some portable dvd players. the downside to this, is that you have to keep the entire motherboard from such a device. [usually]) the use crazy video signals. plus, why would you want to use that screen? its awful! its like 20x20 resolution and has like a 1 or 2 second refresh rate. Heck, its monochrome, too! :gonk:

samjc3 said:
loip90876 said:
themadhacker said:
It doesn't work? ....
no. it doesnt. integrated screens very very rarely work. (the only ones that can be used are from devices that have video in, such as pocket tv's, and some portable dvd players. the downside to this, is that you have to keep the entire motherboard from such a device. [usually]) the use crazy video signals. plus, why would you want to use that screen? its awful! its like 20x20 resolution and has like a 1 or 2 second refresh rate. Heck, its monochrome, too! :gonk:
I'm trying to find a cheap screen that works good on a portable system.

Back