Sam's PCp

That is pretty awesome. Sorry to hear you won't be finishing your original design, but this new one is sure to be sweet.

XCVG said:
Sweet. Are you going to use the LVDS connection or something more conventional?
Probably more conventional. Although if i can find a good LVDS panel (prolly 3.5" to 6", between 640x480 and 1366x768. LED backlit is a must. if anyone knows of anything...) I wouldnt say no.

Kyosho said:
That is pretty awesome. Sorry to hear you won't be finishing your original design, but this new one is sure to be sweet.
Yeah, I still have the original here (posting from it, actually) as a secondary desktop for my workbench. If anyone was interested in the parts, I would probably be down with selling what I have.

Mulling over a couple things here. Probably got a Nano itx e-350 board (like, I have my credit card out for when I get the info, hopefully monday), and Im also looking at Pico-ITX atom+gma 950 boards. In that pursuit, can anyone help me fnd a 4.3" or similar widescreen that is high (better than this 320x240 crap) res with some sort of usable input (LVDS, HDMI, VGA, DVI)?

Atom+GMA 950 is a complete waste of money. Will not play today's games, or yesterday's games, maybe games from two days ago. Can barely emulate N64. The E-350 is MUCH more powerful and has a decent GPU. Dalian Good Display has some 480x272 4.3" screens, and some VGA ones in 5". AEI Components has a nice 3.5" VGA touch screen, but it will set you back $300.

XCVG said:
Atom+GMA 950 is a complete waste of money. Will not play today's games, or yesterday's games, maybe games from two days ago. Can barely emulate N64. The E-350 is MUCH more powerful and has a decent GPU. Dalian Good Display has some 480x272 4.3" screens, and some VGA ones in 5". AEI Components has a nice 3.5" VGA touch screen, but it will set you back $300.
*Can'tSayThisOnTV* you, my 950 can run HL2 :stare:

Mako321 said:
*PLINK* you, my 950 can run HL2 :stare:
@XCVG: Who said I wanted to run todays games with it anyway? Morrowind in a pocket friendly form factor would make my life much cooler.

Ive looked at all the dalian screens, but the resolution would absolutely suck for text. Maybe I will have to live with it. And I want that damned Aeicomp screen, but after I buy these two boards I wont be able to afford it. (after all, I only have like $800 :rolleyes: ). Not to mention other parts.

Anyway, the board I think I will go with for that pursuit is a z series 1.6ghz atom with a GMA 500. (and dont tell me theres no GMAbooster, I found a way around that, and it more than doubles the performance of the chip) Pico-ITX form factor, 5v input only, VGA, LVDS, SATA, etc. Bit spendy, but whatever. Lot cheaper than anything else with the chipset thats small.

As for the e-350, I have a contact who is gonna sell me the smallest e-350 board I have found (nano-itx, so a bit less than 5x5"). Hopefully I will be able to buy that on monday. ;)

So, are you building both? I liked this project, both neat and practical. But with a non-ION Atom? I'm inclined to go with the "buy a PSP" crowd on that one. I thought the whole point was to run today's games. That being said, a pocket-sized PC would be pretty cool. But... Dang, man, it just seems like a cop out after all the effort.

If a hobbyist like you could build something small and decently powerful, think of what a commercial manufacturer or even a collaborative project could do. Forget Pandora, the technology for portable PCs is here.

*Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing finally.

Long XCVG rant aside, I'm ALMOST inspired to build one myself, but sadly I have no money or skills. I do have a lot of time, though. If time is money, why am I not rich?

GMA 950 won't run anything past Half-Life or Quake III Arena. I know from experience.

I don't know what benevolent god you made a blood sacrifice to, Mako, but there is no way in Heck to run Half-Life 2 playably on a GMA 950 as far as I can tell.

Twilight Wolf said:
GMA 950 won't run anything past Half-Life or Quake III Arena. I know from experience.

I don't know what benevolent god you made a blood sacrifice to, Mako, but there is no way in Heck to run Half-Life 2 playably on a GMA 950 as far as I can tell.
Several things: GMAbooster, speedhacks, and low system overhead, and you can get hl2 at at 30+ fps.

XCVG: yes, I do plan to build both. And the reason for the non ION atom: Psp sized. maybe thicker depending on batteries and screen. Plus, its not exactly weak. fable, halo, red faction 1/2, morrowind, tons of indie games, and even some source titles will all work on it.

The bigger one can play everything, but the pocket sized will be, well, pocket sized.

I've tried all the stuff you mentioned and I can't run HL2 for more than five minutes before having the framerate crash and burn into unplayability.

Either way, avoid it. You can get MUCH better.

I can get 2 to 25 FPS in HL2 just with it playing at lowest settings and GMABooster, more tweaking brings even better results. It isn't smooth, but it's playable. Anyone want a video of it playing? :cool:

Back