ram swap

seanmacdonn

I've heard alot about the ram swap. Has anybody done it? Can you post pics? Also I had an Idea that since all a jumper pack is doing is making connections, that you could wire the corresponding spots together, bypassing the need of any pack (jumper or exspansion). would this work? I also havent seen the inside of a jumper pack, and I dont want to open it if I dont have to. Could someone post some pictures. (I already tried to google it)

Basically just swapping the rams chips in addition to this.

You can swap the ram chips and plug in a normal jumper pack and it will act like an expansion pack.

SS

but swapping the chips wont do anything. They are both 2MB so you would have to put the expansion paks chip on top of the one that's already there to get your full expansion. Then have the jumper pak wired up.

Isn't the onboard chip 2MB and the exp pak's chip 2MB? together they make 4MB. So you can't just swap them out, it won't accomplish anything

No, all n64s have 4MB of ram, early revisions have two 2MB chips, later revisions have one 4MB chip.

The official expansion pak has one 4MB chip. You can replace the two 2MB chips on an early n64 with two 4MB chips from an expansion pak or later model n64.

You can then add the resistors from a jumper pak to have an n64 with the exp pak "built-in" (see bentomo's thread)

04am.jpg

Back