Quick questions before I install my tact switch triggers

Kanelot

I've seen a lot of questions about triggers lately due to the wiring diagrams being removed on the guide in the sticky. Bush recently posted this awesome diagram for the softpress:

ZcvIvEf.png

? = ground

I plan to have 2 buttons side by side, one hooked up like in the diagram for softpress, and one next to it for hardpress. For the hardpress button, do I need to wire it so it also activates the softpress, since in regular gamecube controllers pressing the hardpress also activates the softpress ? Will it screw up games if I don't?

Also, before I start, what strength would you recommend for the resistor? Don't want to screw that up.

Hopefully I can start on these this week. Almost done with my first portable!

The hard press on the GameCube is nothing but a digital switch that bridges the signal line to ground. But, if you want one button to trigger both soft and hard press (because otherwise you'd have to hold both buttons simultaneously), you can apply a circuit like this to that switch:
2mmvbc0.png

and apply the circuit you showed on the other switch for just soft press.
You should use a 10k resistor in that circuit. Wattage can be low.

So you're saying that the hardpress circuit on the gamecube controller does not also activate the softpress circuit?

That makes sense I guess. I'm a little confused about your diagram; I've never used a transistor before. Is there any other way you could draw it out for me? :lol:

Thanks a ton,
Elliot

I doubt this is accurate, but is this what you mean by the diagram?

TlLNjbel.jpg

For some reason the image is upside down, sorry about that :p

Going to wire this up later this week! If it fries anything I'm blaming it on you :p

But seriously, thank you so much for your help. I'm still unsure that my thing I drew is accurate, but I'm hoping for the best.

EDIT: Not doing this method anymore, going for the double tact method. Turns out the plan for my triggers wasn't going to work out.

Back