Questions about soldering sheet metal

zeturi

DEMON PIE!
Soldering is similar to welding, I know, so I'd rather not even learn to weld unless it's totally necessary for my application. I'm going to get several sheets of aluminum cut to size with a router, and I would like to join the sheets together at right angles.

I don't want to do JB Weld, bondo, or superglue unless it's on the inside, where it can't be seen. Even then, I want to try to make a smooth looking bond on the outside, hopefully using solder so it keeps the metal appearance. If it ends up uneven, then I can just sand it down with a sanding belt.

But yeah, question is, can I solder aluminum sheet metal together at right angles, rather than weld? Anyone with metal work experience (ßeta, Jlee, Robm, possibly others?), I would appreciate any input.

Whoops, I meant a thicker kind of aluminum, shielding isn't strong enough to be used as a casing. I'm think more along the lines of 1/8 or 1/16 aluminum.

But yeah, Mario did use that to strengthen mount his cartridge slot in Stella....

Should work. It would just take a Heck of a soldering iron. Probably be a good idea to use silver solder too.

And get that sucker nice and hot. you may also use some flux, as oftentimes solder without it will fall off of fairly new and clean metals (like pins on a TI reg)

Speaking of "new and clean metals," be sure to rough up your edges pretty well. It'll help the solder hold.

I"m also gonna sand it really rough, so I get some grooves for the solder to cling against.

Who is cutting the metal? They might have experience. Or just get it bent, then you only have one unconnected corner to deal with.

Actually, I just thought, why not get the aluminum sheet cut into a "t" shape, then have all the edges bent up? Then, I'd just have to solder the corners, which'd be easy, and then I could have a flat piece to cover the top.

Thanks for the idea, vskid!

Back