PSVita

Hugo_Peters

Graphics Designer
So, a new PSP is coming, the PSVita, or NGP!
It has all the latest things, from a multitouch front screen, to a multitouch rear pad!
2 cameras, WiFi, 3G, GPS, and it's 4x sharper than the original PSP series!

Here's a picture of it:
Sony-PS-Vita1-595x382.jpg

Just search it on Google, YouTube and all the other things to get more info / gameplay of it.

So, who's getting one?

I am, I'm probably going for the 3G version with the games LittleBigPlanet, ModNation Racers and Little Deviants, a 16 GB card and some other stuff...

Apparently the controls for the xperia play are actually really uncomfortable, streamlined or not.

I tried it in a store, and it wasn't too bad for its size. I suspect it is very much a YMMV thing.

The Xperia Play is almost perfect for me. I used to be all for a dedicated gaming handheld, but my priorities have shifted. I want a device that can play music and movies, and have some games too. Being able to call people and browse the internet would be nice too. The thing is, while a 3DS or PSV would no doubt be a superior gaming experience, it won't be any experience if you don't have it with you. I always carry my cell phone, sometimes my MP3 player, and never my DS. Really, though, any smartphone or even a very good PMP (such as the Galaxy Player... if they ever release it) would satisfy MOST of those requirements.

I hate how the *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing cellphone companies charge so much, though. I know they want you to buy the plan, but the device doesn't really cost that much. I thought about buying a cheap Chinese clone smartphone, but they are all flax in the processor department.

What I really want, though, is something x86 and Windows in the same formfactor, but that's not going to happen and Android will have to do.

That is awesome. That being said, not quite there technologically. I'll keep waiting, but it's nice to know that it's finally within reach.

@XCVG,

In Canada do you have to buy at unsubsidized prices? Because in America carriers like Verizon sell the Xperia Play for a measly $99, after what is of course more or less selling your soul to the devil for two years.

But that's not exactly a bad price to pay, especially if you are going to pay for the smartphone service anyway.

Also, I'm not too sure why you are so excited about this phone. It is far from future proof, as the processor is a single core Snapdragon. The Android skin does very little to improve upon the stock Android skin. The battery life is far from perfect. And as far as I have observed, the screen is of questionable quality. I know this may be from personal experience, but I have seen it reported in many tech journals that the screen is simply too dim.

/derail

On topic, I wasn't considering getting one until Sony decided to lower the price point. I still won't get one at launch, so I can play it safe and see how successful it is. I was about to buy a 3DS at launch, but I waited a bit and it turned out to be a huge flop. The Vita may have a similar problem. Only time will tell.

Atari said:
@XCVG,

In Canada do you have to buy at unsubsidized prices? Because in America carriers like Verizon sell the Xperia Play for a measly $99, after what is of course more or less selling your soul to the devil for two years.
Nope.

Went to Verizon store today, Xperia Play is 150 with a 50 dollar rebate and that's including 2 year contract/upgrade.
The HTC Incredible 2 was actually 150 a few months ago and they knocked it up to 200 because it was selling so well.

Edit:

I doubt I'd actually go out and buy the NGP. I never even bought a PSP, or DS of any kind.

Atari said:
huge flop

Do people not realize this happens with EVERY platform? Like seriously, I don't know if there was just a extraordinary amount of people who bought the 3DS who have never been early adopters before, but this happens ALL the time. Trust me, I've bought quite a few consoles/handhelds at launch, and you can't expect much the first year or so. That's just part of the cost of getting a platform so early on.

360: Had pretty much nothing to play for months. I ended up just playing Halo 2 and other original Xbox games on it for a long time.
PS3: Took even longer to get a good line-up. About a year or two I'd say.
Wii: Had TP, which was a smart move from Nintendo, but pretty much took a good while after that to build a nice library.
PSP: Launched with like Ape Escape, and had absolutely nothing for a long time iirc.
DS: Had SM64 DS and a few other games near launch, but overall the same thing.

So yeah, if you can't deal with it then don't be an early adopter, but I'm tired of people/the media saying its a failure when its doing the same exact thing as every other platform. Their only mistake was not launching with OOT or a similar game.

Atari said:
?

I haven't checked the prices in a while, but I am certain they were running a sale for the thing at 100 not too long ago.

EDIT: I suppose here's where I saw that: http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/20/veri ... coot-spin/
Well I literally came back from the store today and I am positive it was $150. I would check the prices online, but our bill was put up Friday and we haven't paid it yet and they refuse to even allow us to see about getting an upgrade online without paying.

What you say is completely true, but Nintendo's impeccable record of adoption has definitely been tarnished by the 3DS.

I mean, the Wii and DS sold like hotcakes right out of the starting gate. And they kept going. And yes, it sped up even more when better games launched on each.

But the 3DS launched without a peep. There was a lot of hype right before the launch, and it was unique and interesting, but not too many bit the bullet. Don't get me wrong, I really like the thing, but I was expecting better sales. I suppose this could have been aided by a starting price of $170, rather than the $250 at launch.

While I agree it would have sold better if it was a little cheaper at launch ($200 minimum though), Bear in mind the first goals of a launch is to pay off R&D, amongst other things.

I just bought an Xperia Play, about a week ago, for $50 from Costco, it was $60.49 after tax.

So far, love it, the controller is nice, it's a powerful phone, front-facing camera is pretty sweet, etc.

It's $50/$100 etc on a contract. Not only do I not trust myself to keep the thing in working condition for three years, but I can't afford an expensive plan anyway. So I look at the real cost, not the subsidized one.

I HAVE seen them for around ~$400 on eBay, though, so the price seems to be dropping for grey-market ones.

Not the same battery life really. Like you said, Vita's estimate is with default brightness, headphones, and no wireless at all. Nintendo's estimate is with 3D and wireless on, and when I turn 3D off, I pretty much get double the battery life.

Back