PS3 DS3 Controller Battery Mod (ongoing)

all this talk about batteries and acid reminds me of my science fair project where I ran electricity from a power supply through a jar of Lemon Juice to see what would happen to the steel nail I put in there (one with AC electricity and one with DC). The one with DC electricity had lemon juice turn a healthy brown, and one of the banana wires had completely dissolved down to the rubber shielding.

Meh, I get splashed with battery acid all day at work. Doesn't do anything to me but burn holes through your clothes.

However, don't go to the bathroom with battery acid on your hands. Wash first. Trust me on this.

robm said:
Meh, I get splashed with battery acid all day at work. Doesn't do anything to me but burn holes through your clothes.

However, don't go to the bathroom with battery acid on your hands. Wash first. Trust me on this.
oh dear. thats gotta be awful! :gonk:

"Honey, I don't think tonight would work..."
"OH GOD, WHAT DID YOU PUT IN THERE? IT BURRRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!"

Over one month later, controller is still going with standard Alkalines. It now need to be recharged once a day, and it only works for a couple hours before needing charged again, but ... yeah.

Will be replacing these with something more permanent, actual rechargeable AAAs. I'll let you all know how it goes.

I tore the controller back apart last night and installed rechargeables. Supposed to be able to be charged 500 times or so. The alkalines that would explode if charged looked just fine, no acid leaking or anything. No bulges, etc. They were the Energizer brand.

I'm going to be interested to see how long this lasts. Ultimately, once I get my Bondo unpacked, this mod will be officially "finished" and I'll post a link in the finished projects section.

You will definitely get more than 500 charges, they tend to rate those batteries to the point where they only have 60% of the capacity they originally do. So even a few years down the line, it should still be kicking to some degree. :)

Yep, alkalines. Standard Energizer alkalines. The great thing about this mod is that it does accurately report battery life with the alkalines, or at least close enough for gover'ment work. In other words, the controller quits charging those alkaliens when they get charged. Even better, after all those months, the batteries suffered no physical damage - no splitting of the casing, leaking, corrosion, etc.

Controller is working great with some rechargeables installed, will report on battery life when it eventually dies and needs recharged. I still need to finish off the case, but I seem to have lost my hardener for my bondo :(

Oh well, it's not like I work at a place that sells it by the dozen or anything.

Ok, controller just died.

22 days or so of about 1-2 hours per day play time. That works. It's recharging now.

On.

Alright, imma quit being lazy with this thing and finish it off ... tomorrow. It'll be nice to finally post a Dang "finished" thread for once.

I've popped open my DS3 and I see a regular 3.7v LiPo.

And I also have the 9-cell PSP 3.7v superbattery unused. What would happen if I combine the two? >:)

Back