PS3 DS3 Controller Battery Mod (ongoing)

robm

Billy Mays
Staff member
So I bought a controller and told the salesperson at the counter to shove it when he asked if I wanted the extended warranty.

Of course, it died two months later.

The controller would not come on, even when plugged into USB on the computer or the PS3. I tried hitting the reset button, no avail. So I took it apart and tried putting a cell phone battery in it. The controller killed the protection circuit of the battery. So I tried a different one, with the same result.

At this point, I said screw it, I'll use AA's. So I hooked up three AA's to the controller's battery connector, hit the reset button, hit the PS button, and what do you know - it came on!

AA's were too big to try to use as a power source, so I opted for three AAA's. I am using rechargeable units from Radioshack, so they'll still charge through the PS3's (or computer's) USB port.

Front view:
IMG_1446.jpg

Back view:
IMG_1447.jpg

Batteries:
IMG_1450.jpg

Wired to the board:
IMG_1451.jpg

I used a plastic weld epoxy as an experiment this time; it's strong but nasty looking. Will end up sanding this controller down a bit and doing a different color, probably red.

I've got Energizer Lithium batteries in it right now, will switch to rechargeables after these die. If I don't decide to try and charge these hehehe.

The controller has a little bit more depth now, and is slightly heftier - not a bad thing, in my eyes.

Yeah prolly.

It's about the only thing that will work with as small of a work area it is.

I can't really tell from your blurrycam, is there a battery door with normal battery connects inside?

Gotta take the back of the controller off to change batteries, if that's what you mean.

And yeah. I gotta figure out what's wrong with the stupid camera, it's a super-awesome Canon but God save you if you want to do a close-up.

Yeah, Canon calls it something else.

It better, fluxing thing was $400 bucks.

Brace it or use a tripod. Alternatively, increase the amount of light which will reduce exposure time.

That's awesome. Everything in this country is designed to break so you have to buy a new one.

I have about 20 hours on this thing and the battery meter in XMB still shows full charge.

Wonder how long these things are going to last.

Yeah, hate to be a buzzkill, but that is something to consider. I know that only Sony-brand PSP batteries show their life on-screen, so I wouldn't be surprised if the batteries used in the DS3 were the same way. However, it certainly can't hurt to be optimistic!

This is awesome, by the way. Pretty up that controller shell and you've got one CLASSY product!

If this has a lot of battery life, then I'll do it for kids at school and tell them I have a mod to make their DS3 battery life way better for $30. They already buy my rapid fire mods, why not this? XD

I did this mod 12 days ago and the controller is still going strong, and still shows a full charge.

Huh.

Back