Project Excalibur.

superben51

So, I've started a new portable and have made some progress. It's working name will be project Excalibur, for now. Specs will be something like:
5000mah 7.4v Li-po batteries
3.5" screen (may be subject to change)
Wiikey fusion
AlmostWTF trimmed mobo

Now, enough talk! Pictures!
P1130155_zps0be73275.jpg

P1130156_zps907800ba.jpg

P1210162_zps782ddfe4.jpg

Hay superben!
Nice portable you have here, looks fantastic.
Same battery as mine just only li po.
Awesome :)
I had a 3.5 screen at the beginning too, but then changed due to the 4.3 being better and showing more detail then 3.5.

What speakers are you using? I'm using on mine a GBA speaker and I'm thinking of switching to a DS Lite one.

How many Watts are these types of speakers? Like 0.1?

Can't wait to see more on this, dude :)

Managed to get some work done while procrastinating studying for exams :lol: . Wired up my batteries and modified the chargers case as it was meant for camcorder batteries and not embedded batteries. I just ripped it open and attached a cord to it, drilled a hole and called it a day.
P1220165_zpsd65bd430.jpg

Its alive!
P1220166_zps7d4aa008.jpg

Still waiting on my wiikey, which will ether be here in a few days or be lost, one of the two. Going to get some parts for the 3ds sliders tomorrow and have them working by the weekend.
Gamerlolwind said:
Same battery as mine just only li po.
I had a 3.5 screen at the beginning too, but then changed due to the 4.3 being better and showing more detail then 3.5.
What speakers are you using? I'm using on mine a GBA speaker and I'm thinking of switching to a DS Lite one.

How many Watts are these types of speakers? Like 0.1?
Actually, they are the same batteries, I just tore mine out of the case. I might get a 4.3" or 5" screen depending on case size. I'm hoping to make this decently sized. Right now, I have DSi speakers hooked up to one of those godly ipod amps. I have no idea what the wattage of them is.

Awesome, what heatsink are you planning to use? Stock or IBM one or a diffrent one?

Are the slots going to be internal or external?
Like slot b external for homebrew/memory card etc and slot a internal memoery card?

Looks good so far :)
I like all this soldering-thing. Can't wait to solder my own GCp...

Keep up your good work!

superben51 said:
procrastinating studying for exams :lol:
Aren't we all? I should be studying for my inevitable failure on the 哈语 midterm tomorrow.
Anyway, this looks like it will be pretty awesome, as it already is!

So, apparently the gamecube gods decided to hate me and fried my board for no noticeable reason. Then they decided to throw salt in the wound by making all three of my other cubes IPL 1.0. They must have been in a drunken rage last night because then they decided to say SCREW IT, LETS SHORT HIS BATTERIES TO. The end result being this pic.
P2010176_zps79b6400d.jpg

That wire was the battery to the pcb, somehow it broke off its contact pad and shorted. Fair bit of smoke, and about half a second later that's what I was left with. The voltage of the cell that shorted is about 0.02 lower then the others, although that may just be my muiltimeter. I'm going to try and charge then up again and see what happens. Finally getting to the positive side, I made some progress with making the buttons for the controller.
P2010178_zpsf7b49584.jpg

P2010179_zpsa9da3261.jpg

Looking good so far.

And as a side note, thanks to Sam all I can think of now when I see/hear "Excalibur" is this

I was using IDE wire just to test it on my screen, but after they shorted I swapped it out to 18 gauge. So, the PCB seems to be cutting the ground coming from the pack. I even traded out the PCB I was using for a second one I had. I'm going to guess that this means these guys are pretty much toast. I had built a set-up to try and test them out, but I guess that's not happening :rolleyes:. Here's what they look like right now:
P2050001_zps34439662.jpg

So, 32 days later and I finally have some progress to show. I grabbed my dead GC board and transplanted the IPL chips onto another board I have, I then gave it an AlmostWTF trim and called it done. Zedlaxpro sent me on of his fantastic IBM heatsinks, so I gave it a crappy grinding job to make it level. Finished with 1500 grit wetsand paper, below is the results. I also started to solder some wires up for the Wiikey, which I have have no idea when it'll get here. The third party controller board is now trimmed way down and still has the rumble circuit saved, rewiring the buttons and whatnot will be happening soonish.
P3080060_zps9410187e.jpg

P3080057_zpsd050a23e.jpg

P3080056_zpsf017bb2b.jpg

P3080062_zps0411c255.jpg

Back