Powers on but no audio/video.

Bizzar1

Workin on my Playnendo and just about finished up and then....the ribbon cable on my screen popped off and now the N64 seems to be dead or sleeping? This is my second board as I killed the first one being an idiot (soldering with too much heat and the N64 plugged in AND on lol). So I really do not want to get another board and do all this crap over. I was testing it with the case open and getting ready to put it all together and close the case when the screen tilted a little and the ribbon cable popped out of the screen controller. It didnt touch anything and now I have no audio or video from the N64. The PS2 works fine. It powers on and lights up, I've got 3.24v, 12.1 and everything else checks out fine. I just don't get it. I have unplugged the ribbon cable 100 times and then out of nowhere it goes poof? Is there anything I can check on the board to find out what is going on?

So... this is a PS2 and you posted under N64 thread? Maybe move this to PS2... secondly, just check all the wire connections from the PS2 to the board. I believe you should at least get audio even without the video cable in.

No, it's a PlayNendo...n64 AND a PS2 all-in-one unit. Only the N64 is what I'm having a problem with. If it were the PS2 then yes, I would post this in the proper sub-forum :) I know some screens and other game motherboards have small fuses on them or maybe a common resistor or diode that fails and that is what I'm asking. If there is anything "common" to check for. As I stated, all my voltages seem just fine which leads me to believe all is good on the board. The light comes on, have good ground, 12v,3.3v etc just nothing. After sitting overnight it did act as though it was going to turn on for a brief second. The screen flicked like it got a signal but nothing happened. On the second attempt I got nothing. From reading and searching this "sleep mode" sounds like a myth to me. I have not found a single result of anyone getting their n64 OUT of a sleeping state and simply trashed the boards rendering them useless. Which I do not want to do. If it were a simple N64p then sure I would just get a new board but this is a 2 in 1 portable and the amount of wiring is ridiculous not to mention re-mounting everything is a major pita.

hidiosoman said:
So... this is a PS2 and you posted under N64 thread? Maybe move this to PS2... secondly, just check all the wire connections from the PS2 to the board. I believe you should at least get audio even without the video cable in.
Bizzar1 said:
the N64 seems to be dead or sleeping? ...... It didnt touch anything and now I have no audio or video from the N64.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=5319

What I have checked besides voltages:

Every single wire on the cart - all ok.
Any possible solder splats etc - nada
Swapped TI regulators - no change
Inspected the board using an "eyeclops" - no breaks anywhere that I could see.
Used a different wall plug and batteries - no change (I'm using a modded xbox brick fyi as it has high amperage)
2 different expansion packs and 2 jump packs - no change

At this point I'm going to give up until next year. Its just so much friggin work to swap the board out so...is anyone interested in a n64/ps2 portable? All you would need to do is trim, cart relocate and re-install. Sounds easy enough :twisted:

Hmmm...well its working. Gotta love these iffy boards. I got pissed and just tossed it at the wall. Not too hard to completely bust all my work up, but enough to get some aggression out and its working. I don't know wtf fixed it or WHY it decided to work after a swift kick in azz but it works. I shook it, blew it with air, rattled the piss out of it and its still working. I guess I scared the gremlin out of it. Now to put it together and be done with this nightmare. I wish I had some advice for others who are in a similar situation or a solution but I don't. About the only advice I can give is STICK TO A SINGLE PORTABLE CONSOLE lol. Making a 2-in-1 is a major pain in the butt do not try it! It is pretty badass though heh. I'll get some vids up this weekend when I have time to re-tackle all my button wiring. Yep...I started to de-solder everything to make room for a new board :sweat: :(

Back