Powering on?

Test continuity with your multimeter, set it to the orange speaker icon. This measures the resistance and beeps if the resistance is close to zero. Check between ground and 3.3v. If it beeps you have run 3.3v into ground, this kills the n64. Your solders look a little rough, so disassemble some old electronics and practice soldering wires all over, just to get better.

So... my board definitely isn't fried. I retested the system with its original power supply
2ptci80.jpg

The led turns on... but it's blinking. When I listened closely to the supply, you could hear a ticking sound. I'm also not reciting video using a av jack I wired up
jqhwt2.jpg

Any help is greatly appriciated!

Hey! I have another question about my portable, but didn't want to make a new thread, so I'm gonna post it here.

I wired up power like this:
25rz5g1.jpg

Switch
30swya0.jpg

To protection circuit:
2eqcqx1.jpg

Battery indicator hasn't moved since last night:
35jcqq0.jpg

This is the charger I'm using:
152zx4g.jpg

Did I wire anything wrong? I followed ss charge and play diagram. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Are you so sure you board "definitely isn't fried"? The power LED isn't an indication of whether it's fried or not, it could be completely on, and the board still fried - but it's blinking, and the power supply is making random clicking noises, and you're not getting video or audio? Sounds sketchy to me.

Also your pictures are very hard to interpret. We keep getting a lot of zoomed in pictures with wires going off the side and it's hard to see where they're connecting to. I think we have yet to get a decent picture of where you're wiring power to your board. I think I saw that you had wired what I assume is 12v to that voltage regulator on the front of the board which, someone correct me if I'm wrong because it's been a while, isn't even necessary unless you have trimmed the part of the board that's already delivering voltage to that area - which you haven't.

Now pay attention to this next part, because it is gold for noobs such as yourself.

A good way to go about a project such as this, especially since I assume this is your first time, is to take it in small steps, and test between every step. For example:

1. Remove the mobo from the n64 casing, test. Does the n64 still work?
2. Wire your battery to your pcb, 3.3v reg, etc. Verify that you are getting 7.4v from one point and 3.3v from another.
3. Wire 7.4v to 12v on the board, and 3.3.v to the the 3.3v spot, and negative to the ground. TEST. Does the n64 still work?
4. Wire your video and audio to the screen, test, does then64 still work?
5. etc, etc...

This way if something goes wrong, you know exactly what caused it. Ya feel me? I'm not saying your board is definitely busted, but if it is, this is a good way to go about things after you start over.

Just some thoughts, buddy. I wish you all the best, and I'm happy to help when I can!

Back