Pocket64 WIP DONE

Re: And so it begins

Woah, hold on a sec-
There's RAM solder points on the 5th gen!?!? :eek:

I've got to read up on the N64. Don't know a thing about 'em.
And Perfect Dark- great game.

Wait, are you talking about the solder pads that I put the new ram on? There were chips there, but I desoldered them to replace them with higher value chips.

This is just a concept, and I have no clue if it's even worth the trouble to test out the theory, or if it's something you was already planing, or if it would even work. Just thinking of the extreme shrinking of a N64 mother board.

Since you don't need the expansion slot anymore other then holding a cut down jumper pack, (that only give's the required continuity and basically act's like a "termination circuit")that you might be able to remove the slot and trace out the lines that the jumper pac bridge's, and add the few small surface mount components directly to the slot's pad's? that would intern flatten the whole board to the height of the ic's and capacitor's.

I used to use scsi terminator's on my old file server back in the late 90's. it cost $5-$10 to make or $30-$60 to buy.

Again, it's just a concept, with only the intent to help. Might try it myself in a few mounth's if it hasent been done befor then.

Sorry. Anyway's, back on topic.
That's pretty awesome, I had no clue the N64 onboard ram could be upgraded.

What you just said is basically taking the capacitors and resistor packs off of a jumper pack and hardwiring them to the board. People have been doing that for years.

Edit: *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing spellcheck.

ohh, cool. So with the ram upgrade and surface mounting the parts inplace of the slot, you could/will/have basically integrated the the whole N64 expansion pack onto the motherboard.

That's a good peace of info there, up till a tonight I thought the only way to keep the expansion pack and make it flat, was to remove the slot and trim the pac, and then wire it to the motherboard to lay flat.

cool stuff.

Mr. Hooker said:
Since you don't need the expansion slot anymore

What about the N64 DD :cry:
JK. How small are you planning to get this board? It be interesting to see a new breed of extremely small N64ps rolling out with the idea of soldering everything to the board.

Not really anything revolutionary, and with proper positioning of the N64 mobo, hardwiring the resistors and cap's isn't required for it to fit in an SL68.

Which is the perfect portable size, and also smaller than the TSF, which is still the smallest until bud does exactly what I just said.

Except he may be putting batteries underneath the mobo instead, which would(maybe) require hardwiring the jumperpack. Still, not a big deal.

SS

I could put the batteries under the mobo without hardwiring the jumper, but I'd have to leave something out.

Progress is going to be halted for awhile. I've got another unit to finish up after
T-berg's

......*Can'tSayThisOnTV*.

Edit: I am calling this the Pocket64. Anyone who has a problem with that can blow me.

Back