Old games "Tie Fighter" and "X-Wing" anything like them?

I never played those. Is the Rogue Squadron series similar? Those are pretty Dang good games and flesh out some of the battles.

Starshatter.

If you've got a good enough computer to run it, that's easily the best space fighter I've seen as of late. I used to love playing Wing Commander 3, but playing it these days makes me cringe (crude graphics/etc.)

Starshatter really should have 2+ ghz and at least a gig of ram and a 256 meg video card. I tried running it on a 1.7 ghz machine with a 128 meg video card and 512 megs of RAM, and it failed - hard.

robm said:
Starshatter.

If you've got a good enough computer to run it, that's easily the best space fighter I've seen as of late. I used to love playing Wing Commander 3, but playing it these days makes me cringe (crude graphics/etc.)

Starshatter really should have 2+ ghz and at least a gig of ram and a 256 meg video card. I tried running it on a 1.7 ghz machine with a 128 meg video card and 512 megs of RAM, and it failed - hard.

Yeah I could run it, but it is more "RTS" then it is "space combat flight sim." :cry:

Anyone looking forward to the day the fan-made Starfox game, Shadows of Lylat, gets released?

why1.jpg

epicelite said:
I never played starfox.
Go get yourself a Super Nintendo and a copy of Starfox. Once you have played through all levels of difficulty, you may get yourself an N64 and a copy of Starfox 64. After that, you are not required and more studying because the others are not true to the starfox franchise.

No thanks, it is pretty much a on rails shooter.

Where did these come from?
:admire: :thumb: :whistle: ;)

grossaffe said:
Anyone looking forward to the day the fan-made Starfox game, Shadows of Lylat, gets released?

:o I didn't even know one was being made. Awesome.

Where did these come from?
:admire: :thumb: :whistle: ;)

Bacteria was here....

robm said:
grossaffe said:

:o I didn't even know one was being made. Awesome.
hehe, now someone else has to suffer with me as we watch it go on for years without so much as an alpha.

Still tho, X-Wing and Tie-Fighter are in first person and at least tried to be kind of realistic for a space sim.

epicelite said:
Still tho, X-Wing and Tie-Fighter are in first person and at least tried to be kind of realistic for a space sim.
you can go first person with starfox. I believe the same to be true with the fan game. As for realistic space sim, as long as they have you fly as if you were in the air it won't be a realistic space-sim. Rudders and wings do nothing in space so you can't transfer motion in the x-axis to motion in the y or z axis. The only way to change movement should be with thrusters, which you'll need all over to be able to properly maneuver. And knowing the Star Wars franchise, it is not this way as you'll see them flying around like airplanes all the time.

No all you would need is a few thrusters on the back. I think a X-Wing has 5 on the back. Then just fire the 2 on the left and you would turn right etc...

epicelite said:
No all you would need is a few thrusters on the back. I think a X-Wing has 5 on the back. Then just fire the 2 on the left and you would turn right etc...
But in space, turning your ship will not change momentum. Your ship would face the new direction but continue in the same direction it had been moving. If you make a 90 degree turn while traveling 25 MPH in space, then from your new perspective, you will still have momentum carrying you in the direction you had been moving compounded with the the force you used in turning. moving initial in the x direction and moving to the Y, you'll be adding force in the x and y directions when turning, gradually more y than x as you continue your turn until you've completed it when all your added force will be in the y direction. However, you'll continue moving in the x direction as well because There is no drag, no friction, no air in space. Movement in space is completely different than movement in air. After making that 90 degree turn, you'll be moving diagonally in the x-y plane even though you will be facing in the y direction.

edit: And lets not forget about sound. As everyone knows, space is a vacuum. Sound waves can not travel through a vacuum as there are no particles to excite, thus the sound of lasers whizzing by you are all wrong. The sound of a ship being blown up: wrong. Like it or not, a realistic space flight sim would control like a tank and probably be quite boring.

Yeah but when you finish turning you fire your thrusters at full so they push you in your new direction.

epicelite said:
Yeah but when you finish turning you fire your thrusters at full so they push you in your new direction.
but that doesn't remove the momentum you already have in the other direction. You will always have that component of momentum tangent to the direction you are facing until you turn all the way around and fire your thrusters just enough to come to a complete stop in that direction. at no point in that 90 degree turn is there ever a force present in the negative x direction, therefore it is impossible to remove the momentum already existent in the positive x direction. There is no air-friction in space to do that like there is within a planet's atmosphere.

This isn't asteroids where you eventually come to a stop on your own. With no outside force, there is nothing to stop you from moving in the X direction when you turn to the y direction. Do yourself a favor and don't argue physics with me, it is one battle you won't win. Being that I'm studying to be an Engineer, I have studied much in that field. Two years of high school physics and two semesters of University Physics. This stuff is first year high school physics.

Awesome, space physics discussion on MR today. Sweet.

epicelite said:

Ever pilot a boat?

Spaceflight is like maneuvering a boat on water, only in all directions, and the water doesn't have enough friction to slow or stop you. It doesn't matter when you suddenly turn your rudder to the right immediately, you slowly move into the turn. (Some boats more than others :lol: )

Back