Official Wiikey Fusion to GC MOD troubleshooting thread!

I've had three wiikeys total just quit working, not reading right or causing the system to freak out. All of them developed some problem while connected to the Gamecube, working normally. Using an SD card with the recovery file completely fixed 2 of them, though the one that was officially broken (even though I practically did nothing) is the one that had Swiss flashed to it before it stopped working.

Shouldn't be the wkf really. I hear that it's either wiring or the wiring. That was pretty much tchay's argument.

My side of it is that faulty wiring can cause a corrupted WiiKey. I obviously know nothing about how any of it actually works, but my only explanation for what happened to my 2 WiiKeys is that bad wiring caused corruption, and 1.2 recovery fixed it.

do you know specifically which wires were involved to cause this corruption?
which firmware version was installed before corruption?
after 1.2 recovery, which firmware was flashed?

Sorry, I don't have any idea what wires were involved with the corruption because I could never find a true fault. I just redid the wiring, tried it again, and it didn't work, so I put 1.2 recovery in there and it did work. One of them had official Wiikey 1.5 firmware installed before corruption, and the other was was brand new with 1.0 firmware installed, which became corrupt the first time I connected it. After 1.2 recovery, though, I took one Wiikey and flashed 1.5 firmware to it then continued to flash Swiss. The other one I left alone with 1.2 on it until recently when I flashed Swiss to it. Both still work.

My Wiikey Fusion don't work too.
It lights blue continously,
But i checked my wiring and its 100% right.
All wires are 30AWG (Ground and 3,3v 26AWG)and 5cm long.
I also checked the continous between the Wiikey and the Gc.
The region switches are also right (4on for PAL)
I get always the common error and pressing the 29 Nc switch makes no Difference

Please help me!!
Sorty for my bad english

sounds like a pin29 issue
or
general wiring issue
or
no SD card in the WKF slot

have you read the previous 27 pages of this thread??
..im sure you will find the answer if you spend a bit of time reading the pages..

brendanepic said:
On my wii, my wiikey goes back to the last game played after turning consile off and on

here is a test you can try:
unplug the wii from the DC power plug...wait 1 minute then plug back in..
does WKF still go back to the last game played??

(now after testing, think about what happened and what it means)

Hey!

I'm new here, so this is my first time wiring up one of these. I'm actually using a WASP fusion, which is the only thing I could get my hands on now that Wiikeys are out of production. It works exactly like one, so I assume my errors must be similar to a Wiikeys.

When I press my disk drive tact switch, I get "reading disc", then my wasp flashes for an instant and goes out again, and my cube says "the disc could not be read".

If I don't touch the disc drive switch at all, my cube gives me the an error has occurred message ayer a few seconds.

My wasp has Swiss auto boot already installed, so theoretically I shouldn't need the switch at all. However, without pressing the switch my cube gives me that error after a few seconds, and if I do press the switch my wiikey will temporarily tun on for a second, and turn right back off again.

THINGS I THINK COULD BE MY ERRORS:
My SD card is FAT with nothing on it, but my computer seemed to have a little trouble reading it. Would this affect the WASP's boot up? The wasp has swiss auto boot already on it as I said before.

My ground is all hooked up with 1 24g solid core wire, that's it. I have bridged all the ground pins on the WASP, then I ran them all together with one wire onto the gc motherboard. Do I need more ground connection? Or is my bridging the ground pins messing something up?

Thanks in advance.

as we discussed, wire it up properly first, confirm it works, then you can check if you can get away with no pin29...

is all this troubleshooting worth not having one pin connected or trying to save a little bit of space for not having one switch?

Yeah, you're right. I've just been testing by putting the wire on ground manually.

However, I really doubt pin 29 is the issue. With pin 29 and the GC lid wire both grounded, swiss autoboot seems to work! Well, not fully but a little. As soon as I boot up the cube, it will say that the disc could not be read, proving that swiss is sending data to the cube from boot up. When I don't have an SD card in the slot, swiss will send no data, and the cube will go to the options menu. In this way I can tell that the WASP is not fried, and that it is even successfully running its firmware.

Keep in mind the wiikey "GC disc drive pin" is not supposed to be grounded. If it's attached to where it's supposed to go… see my post above ^

If I boot up my cube with the "GC disc drive pin" in the place it is supposed to be, but the pin 29 is left disconnected, I get flashing on my wasp, and it rotates between "Please incert disc" and "Reading disc". I think I heard somewhere that's a good thing, but I don't remember where.

I'm actually beginning to think the issue might be in my SD card/SD card reader. I guess it could also be the fault of shorted data wires. Anyone know which one is more likely based on my symptoms?

Kanelot said:
Yeah, you're right. I've just been testing by putting the wire on ground manually.

However, I really doubt pin 29 is the issue. With pin 29 and the GC lid wire both grounded, swiss autoboot seems to work!

Pin 23(lid switch) needs to be soldered to gc lid switch and not ground. If your not going to use pin 29 as a swtich then just ground it.

Well, not fully but a little. As soon as I boot up the cube, it will say that the disc could not be read, proving that swiss is sending data to the cube from boot up. When I don't have an SD card in the slot, swiss will send no data, and the cube will go to the options menu. In this way I can tell that the WASP is not fried, and that it is even successfully running its firmware.

Keep in mind the wiikey "GC disc drive pin" is not supposed to be grounded. If it's attached to where it's supposed to go… see my post above ^

If I boot up my cube with the "GC disc drive pin" in the place it is supposed to be, but the pin 29 is left disconnected, I get flashing on my wasp, and it rotates between "Please incert disc" and "Reading disc". I think I heard somewhere that's a good thing, but I don't remember where.

I'm actually beginning to think the issue might be in my SD card/SD card reader. I guess it could also be the fault of shorted data wires. Anyone know which one is more likely based on my symptoms?

no if it were the card reader then you wouldn't see any lights on your wasp. you can try different cards but i have a feeling its still going to give you issues. go over ever point on your gc to the ic on the wasp itself with a multimeter. you have a bad connection somewhere because if its wired up right you get no issues. i know that from personal experience and working with mega to help me get this situated.

when it doubt check the wiring and rewire. or just reflow some solder on to the wires and use flux.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP THROUGHOUT ALL OF THIS!! It works! You were right, rewiring is a pain, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Works perfectly now as far as I can tell. Boots up, and goes to the options menu. Go to the game and swiss is booted up and ready. Doesn't seem to auto boot into swiss when the cube starts up, but honestly I don't care at all right now, I'm just so happy it works and nothing was fried.

Thanks again!

As long as it loads the initial iso (swiss on wasp/wkf) and no need for the pin 29 switch press for it to come up yourgood. There are are couple of variables, I had 3 cards 2 auto loaded one auto booted. Mega theorizes that it is the wire length. But if it works now as it does leave it alone lol.

wirelength?
i recall something about possibly being related to wire length a while back...but i think ive pretty much changed my mind about that theory...
but thanks, that reminds me that i need to spend some time to figure out whats going on there...

Back