Official Wiikey Fusion to GC MOD troubleshooting thread!

Assuming 1.5 update.
Wiikey_zpsca7ba3ac.png

I'm having the same issue.
I start my GC en the blue led burns for about a sec and then nothing.
When I enter the Disc/Game tab in the bootup screen I press the PIN 29 switch the led burns for a little while longer and it still tells me to enter a Disc. I placed the 1.5 update on the root with WBFS 3.0 x64 as I can't seem to find a 4.0 x64 version. But nothing happens?
All pins are connected corectly and the Area code is set accordingly.
What should I do?

Thanks in Advance.

Greets, Bakuku

I got it to work! Hoorah.

I wired pin 11 and 13 wrong. Good thing the WiiKey syill works after I had previously wired all the cables from left to right instead of right to left :)

Although... I have to press and hold the open Lid switch for the GC to recognize the Linux Boot. Wierd? Or is it supposed to be like that?

Greets,
Bakuku

I really like the Wiikey Fusion - except one thing...
and that's its miserable region-free ability on Gamecube.

I used an Action Replay 1.3 back in the days to play US Games on my PAL DOL-001 console, so I gave it a shot and loaded an AR Isofile with the WKFusion. I loads ok, but as soon as I enter ther "Freeloader"-Option and open the lid the screen goes black and that's it.

Does anyone know if it's even possible to use an Action Replay on the WKFusion?
Here's what I want to do:
-place the AR-iso as single entry on an sd-card
-place a different-region-game as single entry on another sd-card
-load the AR on the WKFusion
-change the sd's as I would do when playing multi-disc-games

Code:
Compatibility Results on DOL-001 PAL:

Every PAL-game that I've tried works, except for Audio-Streaming issues (i.e. Starfox Adventures has no Voices or BG-music)

Working USA games:
   Metal Gear Solid
Working JAP games:
   Ikaruga (with audio/resetting issues)

Non-Working, Non-Pal Games:
   Paper Mario (USA)
   Every Zelda Game (USA)
   PC Genjin (JAP)

edit:
I tried several different versions of the Action Replay (v 1.06....1.14b.....1.20) but it's always the same:
Blackscreen after I open the lid.
If I may ask a favour: Can somebody with a Fusion-modded Gamecube test this (mis?)-behaviour please.
Thanks!

I think I got one step further in getting Freeloader to work...
I used the 'real' Freeloader-Iso, without Action Replay and the screen doesn't go black when I open the lid, but the programm resets and goes black when I close the lid now.

Here's a video of that behaviour:
http://youtu.be/hxggT_aVCVM

An important question:
How do you proceed when playing multi-disc-games?

Like this:
-open the lid
-exchange sd cards
-close the lid

or like this:
--exchange sd cards without opening/closing the lid

???

Hey everyone! I have a solution to a problem some of you might have experienced with your wiikeys!

Problem: Before updating your wiikey, you are able to select the linux start option (from the startup bios), but then you get a black screen and cannot get to the wiikey menu.

Solution #1: Flip the lid switch to OPEN, Hold the wiikey switch (the normally closed switch) down WHILE going to the top part of the startup menu, and you should see "insert disc" or whatever. Now you can let go of the wiikey switch and then flip the lid switch to CLOSED. Now select the linux start menu and you should have access to the menu.

Solution #2: If you don't have ANYTHING on your SD card, the wiikey might blackscreen before going to the menu, so simply add the "wiikey update 1.5" to your SD card and ONLY the update, and then you should be granted access to the menu.

Tchay said:
Hey everyone! I have a solution to a problem some of you might have experienced with your wiikeys!

Problem: Before updating your wiikey, you are able to select the linux start option (from the startup bios), but then you get a black screen and cannot get to the wiikey menu.

Solution #1: Flip the lid switch to OPEN, Hold the wiikey switch (the normally closed switch) down WHILE going to the top part of the startup menu, and you should see "insert disc" or whatever. Now you can let go of the wiikey switch and then flip the lid switch to CLOSED. Now select the linux start menu and you should have access to the menu.

Solution #2: If you don't have ANYTHING on your SD card, the wiikey might blackscreen before going to the menu, so simply add the "wiikey update 1.5" to your SD card and ONLY the update, and then you should be granted access to the menu.

solution #3 check your wiring and fix it

this is not normal behavior of the WKF...

the info you posted on solution #1 is indication the WKF failed to send its data to GC...
the black screen is caused from a failed attempt to load the initial iso and the GC is stuck in IPL limbo...
opening the lid (switch) and pressing pin29 will accomplish nothing to address the root of the problem... this will only re-trigger the initial loading process to give the GC a second chance to load it correctly the next try...you could reboot your GC instead and save yourself the trouble of press this switch, press that switch...or just fix your wiring

I almost hate to agree with Mega here, only because I know my sexy man Tchay is only trying to be helpful. But if you have to do funky flax like you're saying to get things to load, then there is something else wrong. Most likely having to do with wiring.

Wiikey's are VERY FINICKY about everything, especially in the instance of portables, where we have lots of wires and other flax going everywhere in a very compact space. I've found in the past that even having a voltage wire criss/crossing with the Wiring to the Wiikey, or running by/over/near the chip/cardreader will make things act wonky. So its not always the actual wiikey wiring *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing things up. It may be interference coming from somewhere else.

That all said, when you boot up your WKF GC. You should be able to hit the pin 29 "eject" switch once, and it should load the "loader iso" in the GC's IPL (or in the case where you have a 1.0 base firmware and Swiss flashed as the boot iso, it should just load it, no button press required). No other *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing around should be required. If it is required, then something else is wrong.

This wiikey works perfectly now and plays games perfectly. So I assume it had no wiring issues.

However this has happened to me on 3 other wiikey fusions in the past and they all worked perfectly after the update, so I don't think it was a wiring issue.

I have also noticed other wiikey fusions just act odd before the 1.5 update, but they all acted properly after the update. Again, MANY wiikeys I have wired up have acted odd before the update, but acted PERFECT afterwards (as in I tested around 10 games that played perfectly).

I suppose it could be a wiring issue, but everything works fine after the update (normal activation, etc), and I haven't changed any of the wires, so I assumed some wiikeys just act finicky before the 1.5 update. But who knows? As long as it plays games in the end :p

EDIT: I just read the interference part of Ashens post. That might explain things, since I didn't change any wiring before or after the update. Although I don't think I had any sort of voltage wires crisscrossing....

Ashen said:
Wiikey's are VERY FINICKY about everything, especially in the instance of portables, where we have lots of wires and other flax going everywhere in a very compact space. I've found in the past that even having a voltage wire criss/crossing with the Wiring to the Wiikey, or running by/over/near the chip/cardreader will make things act wonky. So its not always the actual wiikey wiring gingivitus-inviting things up. It may be interference coming from somewhere else.

When I saw this comment today, I thought to myself about commenting.
Um, so does this apply to everyone who is building/working on/wanting to create a GCP,
I mean that they should be aware about to not have the power wires criss/cross like you menchion here, ashen to not have any wiikey issues,

Also is covering up the wiikey with PVC electrical tape a good idea to prevent the voltage wires from coming into contact with the it and causing possible issues?

Or just to keep the volatge wires as far away from the wiring/sd slot/wiikey chip as possible so this issues for the wiikey don't pop up?

I'm asking this cause I'm at the stage of mounting my stuff in the GCP case and this is a good warning tip to know, thanx for the tip, ashen :)

I'm experiencing some really strange behaviour from my Wiikey fusion, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

From the start, I'll admit that at one point for a few boot attempts, my cable in a 36 pin connector to the gamecube was misaligned by a pin, maybe this damaged it?

Basically, whether or not it will detect the gc-linux to boot the wiikey is random. I rechecked soldering about 6x, then desoldered everything, removed the connector on motherboard, soldered to top and checked that a few times.

I was about to give up, when I stuck it in my Wii, and it worked. Yet using the reset button wouldn't have any effect, and I wasn't able to update it to 1.5. But I tried it again in my gamecube.

I got it to load, and then proceeded to update to 1.5. Near the end of the update, when it goes to verify, it failed that part and then reset.

Then, for the next little while, it fails to load.

Out of the blue, it loads, and I check the firmware, and it says 1.5. I then boot into Double Dash and play for a minute. Excellent I thought. I shut it down, and then it has failed to load for me every time since then.

When I power on the gamecube, the blue light dimly blinks every second or so the "please insert disc" flashes alongside that for a while, then the "an error has occurred" message will pop up.

I'm pretty confident my soldering is good. Any tips from anyone?

* Edit - Put it back in my wii and it's now working fine, reset button worked. So I assume the chip isn't fried.

I'm not using the 1.9v on the NC pin 29 switch since there is no drive connected. Should this be attempted perhaps?

Hi Guys, I am having trouble with my Wiikey... Obviously.

I went through and wired my Wiikey up to my GameCube Via the NewHaven Breakout board and I am 95% certain it is wired correctly. I went pin by pin twice to check continuity and they were all fine.

Now the actual problem. When I boot my cube and go to the game start screen the message "This Game Can't Be Read" or something like that is shown on screen. Can't remember exactly what it is off of the top of my head. Then what is odd is when I hold the pin 29 switch down, the cube says "Reading Disk" and sometimes it will momentarily flash "Please Insert A GameCube Game".

I had Originally thought the problem was my SD Card, but I tried 2 others and it didn't seem to be the problem. It should be noted that I used the Radio Shack 30 Gauge Wrapping Wire. I am unsure if the thinness of the wire prohibits it from working or not. If it is necessary I can post so pictures of my wiring.

Thanks for the help. :)

Hello.

thought this would be the best place to come..

Now Im prety sure i did everything right but the wiikey fusion is acting strange.

1st of all. i did have it connected to a NC switch (1.9v and ground) and it would start with no light on.. If i pushed the switch it would light up red.. if i pushed the switch again it would light up blue..

So i decided to try and just ground it out then the light would start blue "when it felt like it"
if i dont have it connected at all "just floating no ground no 1.9" then it will also sometimes start up blue "when it feels like it"
Some times if i tap it to ground it will start blue. some times if i leave it grounded it will hang before the gamecube even realy starts to boot, but un grounding it will make it light up blue and the game cube start straight away..

Any way all thats just confusing me.
the next thing is it gives me Please insert a disk error. and i never see a linux/swiss screen.
(probably a good time to mention i got the wiikey fusion from some one, who says it auto boots swiss. But i forgot to ask if it was flashed with swish or uses a dol.)

and of course my connection method..

its a FFC break out boad with a dvd connector stuck to it.
Im pretty sure its wired up correctly..

This is a PAL mother board. so ipl should be fine from what i hear..
the lid switch is the original one that comes on a gamecube..
im prety sure thats all the details you will need.
Any how pictures speak a thousand words.
so i took a few..

Its probably something to do with wiering. so some pics of the solder points..
Also a pic of the diagram i made for wiering it up to start it.

Back