Nvidia Shield Price Drop to $199

It looks kinda cool but I don't really see why it's a better purchase than say the Vita, which is cheaper.

Some people have essentially called it a tablet with its own stand, and in that sense it's pretty appropriate. You could be anywhere in the house, and just lay the shield down and watch a movie or something. It's not gonna have the bulk of a laptop, but it's not gonna tip either.

Outside of that, it's nothing particularly great, but it certainly fills a particular niche.

that's one thing i don't understand if im honest, "you can use your tablet to watch movies and tv shows"

really? you can also use your tv which eclipses it in size and doesnt require you to use headphones.

maybe im just missing the point?

Size isn't everything because human's FOV is >0°. A tablet near your face has a larger perceived size than a distant TV. The portability is great too.

The streaming features on the Shield are really cool, but I don't know if that justifies paying $200 for me, especially when now we can use Steam for streaming. And I'd rather get a 3DS/Vita for dedicated games.

Zero said:
now we can use Steam for streaming.
Don't know how I missed this, looks pretty sweet. One thing I hope they can change is letting the server PC be used for other tasks at the same time as streaming. Streaming to another device is great, but for me, the biggest reason to do that would be someone else using the gaming rig. I would buy a Shield in a heartbeat if it could do that.

That's true. I can see why they'd want to keep the resources dedicated to the game/streaming, but they really should have an advanced option if someone's PC is beefy enough to handle it.

Kickback said:
that's one thing i don't understand if im honest, "you can use your tablet to watch movies and tv shows"

really? you can also use your tv which eclipses it in size and doesnt require you to use headphones.

Let me know how carrying around a TV turns out.

XCVG said:
Kickback said:

Let me know how carrying around a TV turns out.

Why the Heck would I want to watch TV when i'm not at home in front of my TV

Back