Noah's Hackintosh Adventures!

Noah

Frequent Poster
So yeah, decided I'd play around with OS X on a PC. I have a mac, and I prefer using OS X for daily use, and Windows for programming, coding, etc. I'll be trying to install it on two different computers, one's got an AMD, the other has a Pentium IIII, both are running 7, the Pentium IIII is also dual booting XP. I'll be installing Snow Leopard on the AMD machine first, so hopefully I'll be posting pictures from OS X in a few hours, maybe less.

Installed, didn't work. Noticed I forgot to customize the install and install the AMD patch. :facepalm:
Once again, installing.

Mako321 said:
http://maketecheasier.com/turn-your-ubuntu-hardy-to-mac-osx-leopard/2008/07/23

Why would you do this?

No seriously, what is one legitimate reason anyone would want to do this?

HACKINTOSH IS flax AND YOU WILL HATE EVERY SECOND. NOTHING WORKS THE FIRST TIME, MOST THINGS DON'T WORK AT ALL. LIKE PLUGINS? NOPE, YOU DON'T. GOOD THING, BECAUSE THERE AREN'T ANY THAT WORK.

It's almost like Apple wants you to buy a specially designed computer to run their software on or something. :confused:

That's also the reason iOS hasn't been ported to any other device. As far as I know. :S

Afaik, making a hackintosh has gotten a lot better, so long as you aren't running an AMD or older Intel CPU. If you are you need to install a modified kernel and a bunch of other flax to get it to work. It's really not even worth it.

You can get lucky and have everything work fine, but the best way would be to buy all the parts from the get go and make sure they are compatible if you want it to work without problems.

My desktop is running OSX 10.6. It has an Athlon II X2 and an EVGA 8800GT. Installed fine first time. I even managed to find a driver for my PCI WiFi card. My only two complaints are that iTunes doesn't run for some reason (crashes a lot. I'm fine with this because I don't use iTunes anyway) and that I cannot find a good sound driver for my onboard sound circuit (haven't looked very hard). I can even run Final Cut, iMovie, iDVD, Garage Band, etc. I also managed to get it to read my two other NTFS drives (one Windows 7 boot SSD and one 2TB storage HDD) using a 3rd party NTFS driver that works quite well.

Back