nin64p

HI. i am making a n64p. duh. and i have everything. But i am using a nine volt battery with a connecter and a LM317 ajustable voltage regulator. can some help by making a wiring diagram for that. i looked everywhere and couldn't find one.

P.S

any help works.

Hold on a second, lm317 cant handle more that 1.5 amp. At least the one with the to220 package.
Anyway, did u look in the datasheet?

00906301.jpg

:rofl:

so this will get the 3.3 volt line with a 9v battery (it is a general purpose one by the way) but how do i connect to the 64?

EDIT:
I figured out my problem but how do i adjust my LM317 to the 3.3 volts?

9V... as in... those tiny little 9v batteries you put on your tongue? I can remember where, but I'm pretty sure I posted my calculation for how long a single 9v would last powering an N64... something like 1 minute if memory serves.

EDIT: Found it. This was from somebody who asked if they could power a portable off a 9v battery (like those rectangle things)

Snipeye said:
Theoretically, yes you could. Practically, absolutely not -

An average battery in a portable, we'll say, is about 4Ah at 7.4V. That gives us 26.9Wh at 7.4V. The screen uses a linear regulator and the n64 5v line does, too, so we'll roughly estimate that as 300mAh draw on the direct power line. The 3.3v line draws roughly 1.5Ah with the expansion pak, but since you can only get about 90% efficiency with the regulator, it's equal to drawing 1A from the main line, very roughly.

That's a total draw of 1.3Ah (or so, not exact) at 7.4V, meaning that 4Ah battery will last about 3 hours.

4Ah = 4000mAh. A single 9V battery is usually about 150mAh, and for simplicities sake, we'll say it costs $1. That means for $1, for one 9V battery, you can play on your portable for roughly 1/10 of an hour, or 6 minutes. However, 9V batteries aren't good at providing that much current all at once, so a lot is dissipated as heat. Drawing at 1.3Ah, you'd be lucky to get 3 minutes of play time before the battery simply gave out. That means that you're paying between $10-$20/hour to play an n64 off of 9V batteries (depending on how you wire them (in parallel, or 1 at a time)).

TL;DR

No.

Using amp-hours as a current draw measurement instantly robs you of any credibility. Just, you know, for future reference. Your calculations look okay, but remember amps is current, amp-hours is capacity.

I believe when I referred to Ah as current draw, I meant to say A/h.

As for Aa, use the battery life calculator in the battery section, it might be a bit burried.

thanks that means i have,

a n64

a controller

pth08080was

wire

a battery

100uf capacitor

psone screen.

anything else i need?

dsv was kind of joking. That battery is useless. It will be a pain in the ass to use because it will barely last any time at all and you'll have to use a step up for the 12v line. It goes as low as 7.4v, but I don't think it goes any lower. The usual 4700maH cells everyone uses have been discontinued, but there's this one: http://www.batteryspace.com/polymerli-i ... isted.aspx
If you're ok with waiting (I think it will only be a few more days now) This one is supposed to be back in stock very soon and it is a significant improvement over the 4250maH cell http://www.batteryspace.com/polymerli-i ... isted.aspx

I really wouldn't recommend anything less than 4300maH. Even 4700maH is not a lot in my opinion. I highly suggest you wait the few days and get a pair of the 5000maH cells. They are actually quite small. I've got a pair sitting right here.

:oops: Oh flax, sorry, I forgot to mention that you'd need to wire TWO battery packs wired in parallel. I'm sorry, I should have read what I wrote after I edited it. :sweat: anyway, like the others said, make sure that you're battery has a good amount of capacity, and make sure by reading the specifications if you'd have to wire them in parallel or series to get the right voltage/mAh.

ToastBucket said:
I really wouldn't recommend anything less than 4300maH.

No that is not enough. First off, you only have ONE 3.7v pack, so to get your necessary 7.4v you need to step up. 2200maH is scanty enough as it is, but since you have to double your voltage, the draw will be twice as much, effectively halving your capacity at 1100maH. You'll get less than an hour on that.

Back