New way to Relocate Cart Slot!

if your going to do it this way why not just leave the actual slot on and just solder to it like that so the pins have support.

I could but I would rather remove the pins and the port. The main idea of doing this is not having to solder to the board. I will still have to solder the board when adding the expansion pack to the board but the expansion pack is not wires. Thanks for the input,

Ian

Don't take all these comments as an insult, really; but this is a very quick way to break your n64.

Those pins are sooo weak, I can literally pull them off with my fingernail. Sure, you can do it this way, but just think 3 months down the line when you're playing it and it gets hot enough to melt the hot glue, and the 3.3v and 12v cart lines bridge, Your portables dead.

Please, save yourself a lot of time and stress and just do it the old fashioned way, it's not hard at all.

Easier than this: Putting wires through holes is easier than laying them flat against pins and heating them while not getting any others hot.

yes. i had a lot of trouble relocating cart slots. ive done about 6 with only two succesful ones .

my tips are use ide wire its awesome. and make sure when soldering to the solder pads tug the wire a little and make sure its a good joint. (haha) also check twice for shorts along the cpu and rcp chips. use compressed air to clear the board of debris. and please dont do this method its going to cause trouble and its easier to solder to the pads. were not being mean were just trying to help youu.

I know your not trying to be mean it's fine. Maybe I'll just use another type of glue. I will only do this for my first portable. I am going to work on it again on Saturday, so maybe i'll do it normally.

See the first time I tried a relocation, I soldered to the middle pins. After reading more, I learned to solder to the outer pins. I consider myself a good solderer but I still did not want to solder to the board. The reason I burned out my last N64 was due to a piece of solder that popped from the soldering iron on to the CPU. My N64 died :(. This is why I solder to the pins. I consider this method "safe".

ive been through 22 n64 boards and have yet to come across pins that break off with a fingernail, i use to pull them off one by one with pliers. they are pretty tough. now i just cut and fold them over for the quicker removable cart slot relocation.

Just be more careful, and check your pins before you power up. It's easy to clean solder off of pins.

Back