My Restoration of an original vs. Super Mario bros. cabinet

Thursty

SS's Preferred Refreshment
So I'm gonna be picking up a Mario bros. arcade system today, in rough shape for about $100.

Known Problems:
Original Cab, different side art.
Sound issues.

A lot of unknown problems for sure.

I'll update this thread as it happens.

So it turns out it was not a Mario Bros. Machine, it was actually a VS. unisystem cab. with a vs. Super Mario bros. board in it. Sweet.

Updates and pics soon.

Progress! so As you can see in the below pictures, this cab is utterly destroyed on the outside, luckily all but the sound inside works, and I can fix that easily.

Un-Altered

Anyways, The coin door was completely F'd up, coins and toys jammed in both slots, unfortunately I need to order a tiny part to get coin mech 2 working. But here it is before I worked on it today:

before

Here it is after sanding, grinding, and painting:

after

Next up was the Marquee light. The original Nintendo light was completely missing, in it's place was a giant flood light in a Styrofoam cup. It only lit half of the marquee, so I replaced it with two evenly-lighting Aquarium bulbs, roughly the size of the original tube light.

Unlit

Lit!

Here's a picture of the cleaned and dusted Insides.

Insides

Here is the front, before and after. Please note I have not touched the bottom paint in any way.

Before

After

And finally, I started chipping the ugly uneven graffiti ridden paint job off of the sides, This is going to take a while.

Right

Left

That's all for now, I believe. :awesomethursty:

Cool, definitely going to read this. One tiny part, that sucks. Can't you just fake it somehow?

Is the lighting really that uneven or is that just the picture?

BUMPDATE

so I just got home from a long weekend away, and I made $100 for shaving my head, Just enough to finish this project! :awesome:
Unfortunately the pain I'm feeling cannot be cured by and amount of money.

Anyways on to progress. I went and bought paint and paint supplies today, and started going at the front. I will avoid the sides for now, anyways, here's a pic of it almost done being sanded:

Almost Done!

Then after a few more hours of sanding, I put the first few coats on.

First few Coats of paint.

I also managed to get the most expensive part of the cab ordered, the side art. Coming in at exactly 69.98 shipped, for both sides of course.

Heres a look at it.
vsnintendosmall.jpg

More updates to follow soon.

Left to do:
Finish paint on front
Sand/chip down sides
Paint sides
Rebuild the bottom edges with epoxy
Install new T-Molding
Fix sound board
Install Side art
Touch ups