My opinion on the current state of ModRetro...

In response to AfroLH:

ßeta said:
super-mario-64-screenshot-lakitu-cameraman-big.jpg
banditpaw1 said:
ßeta said:
hmm latiku? EDIT BY J.D: O RLY?
Oh, and Banditpaw1's post was right after Beta's post.

You can switch the word censor on and off on your UCP.

Admins can force the filter on or off for all users.

I got mine switched off. :funny:

One of the principles this forum was founded on was to create a MORE respectful place than the other guys. Why is this so hard to understand?

If SS editing my signature was unprofessional, what is banning due to evading the word filter, BACTERIA. Bacteria said that he could've banned me for writing "WH0RE" in my signature, and that I should be thankful that he didn't. Now that sounds like an abuse of power.

Now where is that "OBJECTION!!!!" pic... no matter.

SS editing your signature, if it contained something offensive, was professional and in accordance to forum rules. That word is offensive, whether you think it is or not - this is one of those cases where your opinion simply doesn't matter as a result. Why do you think some radio stations censor it out in music? (What it's Like, Everclear.) A ban for violation of rules is not an abuse of power, it's the result of breaking the rules of the forum.

1. Words like F***, and Ass**** should not be allowed. They are very offensive and can potentially turn away a few visitors from joining or even looking at this forum. You guys really need to tone it down with the language. And you Mods need to step up and do your job and either Edit the posts or remove them.

Agreed. Again, see first sentence of this post - we are supposed to be more respectful, and using cursewords for no other reason than to use them is ridiculous.

You don't have to like everyone, you just have to be nice. Pretend it's real life. Just because that angry cashier is giving you the hairy eyeball doesn't mean you can slap them.

Oh yeah, And maybe we should stop focusing on such mundane things such as which smileys are better and focus on getting this to be a forum where everyone can feel welcome, nobody gets offended, and rule-breakers get punished.

+1,000,000,000

This smilies thing is getting annoying - they aren't that important, guys. The extra smilies are there because they're different. If you don't like them that badly, do what Bacteria was doing - go to a smilies site and copy-paste at will. :rolleyes:

Being rude to someone isn't acceptable in RL, why should it be acceptable here. It is not a legal right.

robm said:
One of the principles this forum was founded on was to create a MORE respectful place than the other guys. Why is this so hard to understand?

:thumb:
I think that some of the people here are only here just to be different. They like the fact that they are rebelling against BH. But that isnt what this is about. Its like how robm put it, to be a more respectful place. Not a place where you get flamed for no good reason.
Now I know I, and a few other people, came here to Mod. Not just for the joy of being a rebel. We came here for respect and easier access to knowledge. I thought everyone here (Or at least the first 100 members) would understand this.

/rant /opinion

BTW - don't use the "censored" smiley to replace swear words in your post - or it gets removed as it is in itself being used as an obscenity otherwise.
Uhh...what is the "censored" simile used for then?

Okay, time for my thoughts.

You say that swearing discourages members. Maybe for some. But filtering discourages others. The compromise system we have in place is a good balance.

Also, you comment about the lack of respect. Go to Facepunch or Acidmods for a while. I've been through a lot of forums, and this is probably the best one for respect.

And you'll never like ALL of the mods, but that's just the way things go. I think Shockslayer should have stayed Admin but that's just one voice among many.

Keep in mind that we are all human (well, most of us anyway) and nobody's perfect.

bacteria said:
As always, its a fine line to follow, with no chalk marks in the ground to guide.

I think it's about right right now, but again you'll never be able to satisfy everyone perfectly.

I agree with the whole "treat everyone the way you want to be treated" thing. Just because somebody has a bad paint job on a portable doesn't mean the first comment should be: "that's ugly as Heck." Saying that is like saying: "I see that you've invested months of hard work in this, now my advice is that you don't try again because your first attempt looks like crap." This always annoys the crap out of me. At least phrase it to be something like: "looks good. Congrats on finishing it. Maybe next time you can make one with a truly awesome case! :thumb: " If you don't have something nice/ constructive to say, don't say it at all, or you may make other people upset. :cry:

Back