My Modded GBC

Nusdogg

I just pick this thing up for $14.50 off Ebay. First mod I did was the 3mm green LED I picked up from Radioshack. The mod wasn't too hard, de-solder while pulling out the old one and re-solder the new one in.

IMG_3490_zps3e40244a.jpg

IMG_3487_zps55fff25e.jpg

Now I'm waiting for my new atomic clear purple shell casing and the broken GBASP I got off Ebay for only $19.00, so I can rip the front light and speaker out for the GBC. I will be adding a SPDT sliding switch in as well, so that I will be able to turn on/off the front light. I will be cutting the front light glass and the light metal guide to fit the GBC's front screen, so that the light can be in it's correct orientation. I didn't want to land the light sideways like how everyone did it due to the fact that with the atomic purple shell, you will be able to see the LED bulb showing just right above the buttons.

So this will be like a new GBC but with front lit. I also have a GBA front lit on the other hand along with another GBA that I'm waiting for the AGS-101 backlit LCD kit once I get my tax return here soon. It's so annoying how hard it is to see in a low light area. Can't believe I went through that with no light back in my kid days when these first came out. Lol.

Will update this thread once I get the new front light and speaker in my GBC.

xXPunisher24Xx said:
Nice, but I think you can only backlight Game Boy Colors.

Thanks. I think you mean front light the Game Boy Colors? When you say backlighting, I'm thinking of the AGS-101 GBASP LCD screen. From what I read and researched, you can't backlight the GBC. Unless, someone has already accomplish that.

Just received the shell casing today. I'm surprised it even comes with a new model sticker. Fast shipping. Gotta love Nintendo Hut Repair!

IMG_3495_zps626342a8.jpg

I will be getting my GBASP tomorrow, and I'll go to town with it once I get home from work.

So I today I attempted to mod the front light. Got the new shell casing modded to fit the GBASP speaker and soldered. It works good and sounds louder and less bass like the stock one:

IMG_3498_zps33723bee.jpg

Got the new front light in and in it's correct orientation:

IMG_3497_zps357867e8.jpg

Until I ran into this problem and had to pull the front light back out. I did everything I could to save it. I even scratch the plastic area away to get the copper exposed so I can solder the wires back on, but no luck so far. God Dang, I should've taped it, so it doesn't move around and tear up like this!!

IMG_3499_zps7baa64e1.jpg

Any suggestions I should go about this? My next solution is to get another front light.

To help others out after front lighting their GBC, you might have cartridge issue such as not being able to go past the "Game Boy Nintendo" logo at the beginning. It'll just freeze there and won't load at all even after you blow the cartridges and cartridge slot on the GBC. Mine wouldn't load at all. What I did was went back to my soldering joints at the cable ribbon of the front light, resolder the joints there, and no more freezing at the beginning of game.

Also double check your solder joint for the ground and power just in case. Hope this helps those that may encounter this in the future!

Back