My First Mod! A Wii Laptop!

Sebster

Newb
Hi everyone! I am working on my first ever console mod/portable. I've decided on creating a Wii laptop! I had originally seen Ashen's Wii Laptop, thought it was spectacular, and it gave me the inspiration to create one myself! The biggest reason I'm creating this is simply just for me to have a portable Wii, as seeing Ashen's portable Wii made me want to make one myself!

I'm sure others can benefit from this aswell, I will be posting a worklog here as I work on the project! Anyways, heres what I've got so far (pics coming soon)

What I've done
-Took the screen off of a Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop
-Took apart the Wii
-Bought a Driver Board on eBay for the LCD panel
-Started planning out how I will design the case for this mod.
-Ordered a Wii AV to VGA cable so that I can connect the LCD monitor to the wii via VGA.

Here are the issues I am facing so far, if anyone knows a solution or could help, please reply to this post and let me know! Thanks in advance!

-Wii AV out- I am not sure how others have done this, such as Ashen, but how could I get AV out on the Wii when the Wii is already hooked up inside to the LCD monitor? Will I need a second Wii AV jack in order to get AV out on the wii without having to unplug the monitor from the Wii's AV jack and plug that into the TV? How have other's accomplished this, such as Ashen?

-Battery- What kind of battery would you recommend for a Wii laptop portable? ALSO is there any way to put some kind of battery indicator LED or something to tell me when the battery is low? This would be useful so that I have a chance to save my game or plug in the Wii to charge before it just dies.

Will upload pics soon of current progress soon! Stay posted! :)

If you are doing battery powered, make sure to use a Wii with a 65nm CPU. My Wii bit smaller thread covers more details and how to tell the difference, but the older Wii's will consume almost twice as much power and produce much more heat.

You should be able to just split the av lines to female av rca adapters, and just plug in there. You could have switches if you want.

Batteries? Lithium ion from battery space.com

Back